D70 playing silly beggers

mikew_RIP

Had this since they where launched and thought it would be handy to use as a walk around camera,then i would not need to be taking the 120-400 sigma off the D5100 but have hit a snag.In the last few days i have tried a Nikon AF 35-105 F3.5/4.5 and a AF Nikon 35-135 f3.5/4.5 (both older lenses), the exposure on both is correct at the long end, over exposed at the short end,and under exposed on macro (close focus).I came to the conclusion it was the older lens design but tried my sigma 105 macro which i bought at the same time as the D70 on a normal telephoto shot i get correct exposure but in macro under exposed,
The to add to the confusion the kit 18-55 exposes correctly at 55mm but over exposes slightly at 18mm,has any one had a similar experience.

mike

fotojack

You have to adjust for the exposure. Look through your viewfinder....see the + and - signs there? When the bars are dead center, your shot will be properly exposed. You adjust this by changing either your aperture setting or your shutter speed setting. Just get the scale to read 0 and fire away. :)

mikew_RIP

You have to adjust for the exposure. Look through your viewfinder....see the + and - signs there? When the bars are dead center, your shot will be properly exposed. You adjust this by changing either your aperture setting or your shutter speed setting. Just get the scale to read 0 and fire away. :)

Sorry but are you saying aperture priority will not work with the first two lenses as that is what i was using,then with the sigma i have never had to make any compensations before, auto exposure has always been correct on macro, thats why i wondered if there could be a D70 problem someone else may have experienced.
mike

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Mike, you forgot to mention what mode you were using. The one thing I also would look at is your metering mode. Could you have been using the spot metering mode by any chance? This could very well fool your exposure unless you made sure that the meter was reading a daily 18% grey object.

mikew_RIP

Marcel i didn't go into the metering side as ime using 12mm centre weighted, which has been accurate all the time i have had the camera,so long i metered the right part and recomposed, the first 5 years where with a Nikon 24-85 af-s ED and the sigma macro and all was fine,then the 24-85 gave up on me so it was just the 105mm and a sigma 135-400,just never experienced this before.
The problem could have been there for a while as i haven't done wide angle for years and my macro has been with a ring flash.

mike

mikew_RIP

Marcel you are a star,i have always used centre weighted or spot,your post got me thinking so i tried the matrix metering and the problem is solved i think,never used it much before because when it first came out on 35mm cameras i couldn't get on with it,for some reason the D70 and 35-135 like it and the lens itself is very good.
Thanks

mikew_RIP

Marcel ime back in business

dsc_0006.jpg

D70 matrix metering

mike

fotojack

Sorry, Mike. I just assumed you were using Matrix metering. I gotta stop answering questions so late at night. I'm glad that Marcel mentioned about the metering. :)

mikew_RIP

Sorry, Mike. I just assumed you were using Matrix metering. I gotta stop answering questions so late at night. I'm glad that Marcel mentioned about the metering. :)

No problem,as i say my dislike for it in the 35mm days stopped me from considering it,i may even look at the book to see if the D5100 has it:)