Nikon 20mm f/2.8D compatibility issue

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Just recently I read a post asking if anyone experienced problems when using an AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D lens on a D600 (I thought it was this forum but can't find the thread). Yesterday I tried mine out for the first time on my D600 and wound up with the same problem the OP experienced: overexposure! And I don't mean a tiny bit of overexposure. These were WAY overexposed. In fact, the photos were so light that I underexposed by 3 stops and STILL wound up with overexposed photos.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with this particular lens? This morning I did a brief test using the DOF preview button. I could hear clicking as I pressed the button, but nothing changed inside the viewfinder. When I underexposed 5 full stops, I was able to achieve a decent exposure, but I didn't have time to fully test it at all apertures to determine if the apertures were changing (the camera indicated changes in apertures although I'm not sure the lens was able to make the adjustments).

I also tried it out on my D90. First off when pressing the DOF preview button, I didn't hear any clicking like I did with the D600 and nothing changed inside its viewfinder, but I was able to obtain a decent exposure without doing any under- or overexposure. And I still want to test it out at all apertures, too, plus try it out on one of my film cameras.

I haven't used this lens in over a decade so it's just been sitting inside a camera bag (the camera bag it was kept in was for storage with all my extra gear...not a bag I would take out with me). In fact I seldom ever used the lens so it is like-new condition with no possibility of sustaining any damage.

Since I read that someone else experienced overexposure with this lens, has anyone else experienced exposure problems with it? Later in the week I hope to call Nikon asking if it's been an issue.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I suspect sticky aperture blades. Try a shot at 2.8 in Aperture mode. Then one at f11. If the one at 2.8 is OK and the one at 11 is not, then the aperture blades are not closing when you depress the shutter. The fact that when you use the dof preview button does nothing is a good indication of the problem I suspect.

You can also try removing the lens, closing the aperture and playing with the aperture tab to see if the lens blades do close "easily". If not, then maybe a good cleaning of the lens can bring it back to life.