need lens advice

eli

I use a D7000 and have the following lenses: 18-105, 35mm, 50mm, and 105.
I am traveling to Paris in a couple of weeks for a week long vacation. I am spending the entire week in Paris, in museums, cafes, exploring neighborhoods, churches, and other typical sites (A certain tower, for instance).
What lenses would you suggest i take? SHould i use the 18-105 or purchase something else that is better, faster, sharper? SHould i use my 35mm mostly, or purchase something else? What would you do?
I don't want to carry a lot around with me.
thanks for the advice

The 18-105 should suffice, unless you wanna step up and purchase a 70-300mm for real reach out and touch photography.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

STM

Why not take all of them and just use which ever one you need for the situation you are in? Why limit yourself? None of those lenses you mention are very large or heavy. If you feel the need to get something else for your trip, I suggest you get a camera bag, if you do not already have one, to carry them all as well as a flash and any other accessories you might need.

fotojack

Personally, I would take all of the lenses you mentioned. There is no "one lens does it all" in my opinion. There will be some situations where the 35 will be the ideal lens. Other times, the 18-105 will fill the bill just nice. I agree with STM...they're not at all heavy, and a Lowepro 202 Sling bag will do the job nicely. Don't short change your photo experience by just taking one or two lenses. How many times will you be able to take a trip to Paris?

Take a few spare batteries with you, a CPL filter to fit the 18-105, charger, of course, for the batteries. (get a converter for the charger.....different power system over there. :) )

crycocyon

I'll third the "bring all lenses" credo.

I'm curious, so you have the 35 F1.8 dx, 50 f1.8 (?), and 105....?

I think my own decision would be based on what I would be doing in Paris. If you are just sight-seeing, then the 18-105 would be enough. But if you are actually going there to do photography, then I would be using the primes and taking my time to really capture the sights. If you are just playing the shutterbug, then the 18-105 would be ok for going from moment to moment. But if you are on a mission to seriously capture one of the most beautiful cities in the world, then it deserves the best lenses, namely the primes. Personally I will shoot with one prime for a while, then shift my frame of mind (excuse the pun) to a different one, depending on my mood.

One compromise would be take the 18-105 because that is full coverage of the focal lengths plus you don't have a wide angle prime, and then take the 35 mm for low light, more exacting work. I would probably not want to leave the 50 at home if you plan to shoot people/portraits. The 105 is probably the most dispensible of the four lenses. Plus keep in mind that you can vary the lenses you bring with you on any given day. Take the 18-105 every day but then vary it with either the 35, 50 or 105 so that you give yourself a chance to work with those focal lengths in a more focused way.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Lucky you to be able to go out to Paris to shoot... If you don't want to carry much, I'd get a 18-200 and a 10-20 to take with your 35. And a monopod. I've used this combination for a few trips and I never missed anything else.

Epoc

If weight and space are an issue, the 18-105 for outdoors and the 35 for low light would be my choice. If no issues with weight or space, take them all. If you wanna buy a new lens just for the hol, look at a Tokina 11-16 V1. Great for wide landscapes and the 2.8 comes in handy for wide shots indoors.

eli

I read that the Tokina 11-16 doesn't work well with the D7000. Is that correct? I will bring the 18-105 and the 35. COnsidering the 50 but will leave the 105 home, though
it is by far the best lens. I don't foresee using that lens on this trip. Perhaps i will rent an ultrawide.