The best filters/lens for beach/water photography

ramongeoffrey

Hello all,

This is my first time to try posting on this site, but I have heard a lot of great advice by scanning the forums and I was hoping you guys could help! I'm planning to buy a nikon d5200 very soon, and am considering to buy a nikkor 18-200mm lens, hoya nd400 (9 stop) filter and a polarizing filter. The shots I'm planning to take will be long exposure (waterfalls, beaches) as well as portraits in midday sunlight but I'm not sure if the stuff I have in mind can do the job. In fact, I'm torn as to whether I should take the graduated ndf or the solid ndf. What would your recommendations be?

Looking forward to hearing from all of you soon! And thanks in advance :)

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Welcome to the site!

All the gear sounds good to me. I would start with the nd filter and if you're not getting the results you are looking for then try the graduated filter. Keep in mind that the polarizing filter is going to lower things at least a couple stops too. Again, it all depends on what you want to do.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Also, while the 18-200mm is versatile, you can probably save some money now, while getting better results in the long run, by getting the 18-55 kit lens. Then the get 55-300mm later if you want a good zoom. I would imagine most of the shots you're going to be taking are on the 18-35 range.

Edit - keep the diameter of the lens in mind when getting filters.