70-300mm AF on D3100?

adamr6698

Hi all first post on this forum :) my names Adam and I have a D3000 with the normal 18-55mm lens, and as usual, I've joined a forum to ask (probably annoying) questions lol.

I've had my camera a while and begun experimenting with filters, a wide angle lens, etc.

I've just bought a 70-300mm lens and although it has AF in the model name it's auto focus doesn't work with my camera body.

I'm presuming this is because the AF is in the normal lens and not the camera body.

Is there another body I can get with AF built into the body rather than the lens?

Or does the "af" in my new lens' model name not stand for "auto focus"?

Cheers in advance guys

Mike150

Re: Newbie/beginner

Hi Adam and welcome

I am far from being a lens expert, but it would help if you provided a bit more on the lens you're discussing. Nikon, Tamron, and Sigma all make lenses in the 70-300 range. Some are AF and some are not.
Can you give up the complete lens description such as the "Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro Lens for Nikon AF-D". This would help the real experts to give you a better answer. Don't overlook the obvious. I have at times forgotten to turn the AF switch on the lens back to the on position.

nickt

You need an af-s lens for that body. Also d3100, d5x00 do not have the motor. D70, D50, D100, D200, D300, D700, D90, D7000, D7100, D600, D800, and I think also D1-D4 have the motor in the body. Bodies with motor can use AF and AF-S as well as some other lenses. There compatibility charts you can google. Or if you are considering a new camera, just download the user manual first and see a chart for that particular camera.

adamr6698

There you go guys. Auto-rotate kind of taking over there on my phone but that's the one lol.

I'd like a body with auto focus motor in it for better compatibility but a bit unsure which to go for.

adamr6698

My apologies, that was supposed to be a picture of a Nikon Nikkor AF Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G but my phone decided otherwise

nickt

No -S after the AF, so no motor.
Probably D90 is the minimum "older model" to consider if you are on a budget. D7000 is very nice and D7100 is the brand new update to D7000. D600 and D800 are full frame fairly new models and a lot more $$. If you consider d600 or d800 then you need to think about dx and fx lenses too. You need fx lenses to take full advantage of a full frame sensor. I THINK that lens is fx, but I would not buy a full frame camera solely based on because you already have that lens.