New D600 owner!

mikeyg36

I just pulled the trigger on a new D600! I'm upgrading from my D5100, and so far I'm very impressed. Unfortunately after about 60 shots, the worst happened... dust on the ******* sensor :mad:. I knew it would be inevitable, but are you kidding me? 60 shots in?! I'm charging the battery up so I can hopefully blow it off. Otherwise I'm very happy with my purchase, and I look forward to posting photos on here.

Cowleystjames

Turn the sensor cleaning function on, I have it set to clean when turning on and off on my D800e, and fingers crossed, I've never had any problems.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

VectorZ

Congrats on the camera and welcome! Starts shopping for your wet sensor cleaning kit now! After a while you'll get very good at it!

BackdoorArts

Congrats!! A couple tips on minimizing the dust issue. Don't shoot at minimum aperture unless you have to (it's far less noticeable at f8 and wider), avoid continuous mode unless you absolutely need to (fans any dust inside) and shoot in Quiet mode for single shots if it suits you - this will also minimize camera shake.

mikeyg36

Thanks everyone! It is set to clean sensor on startup and shutdown, but the piece on there was pretty big. It blew right off though, and there's nothing else on there (yet). I'll be picking up a wet clean kit as well as a larger blower in a couple of days.

06Honda

Most new Nikon bodies come with dust in them, theres no real way to completely stop this. You would think that you should be able to get a few thousand shots anyway. Its weird buy my trusty D50 only gets dust about every 3-4 months of alot of use, the newer bodies must be made much different inside for dust to be an issue so often.

mikeyg36

Okay I have a question. I'm using a 70-300mm 4.5-5.6 G lens, and when I autofocus the camera the AF motor keeps running for 2 sec after I release it. Is this normal? It never happened on my 5100. It also seems that there's a long delay between shots with the flash on and off. That never happened on my 5100 either. Any advice on this?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Okay I have a question. I'm using a 70-300mm 4.5-5.6 G lens, and when I autofocus the camera the AF motor keeps running for 2 sec after I release it. Is this normal? It never happened on my 5100. It also seems that there's a long delay between shots with the flash on and off. That never happened on my 5100 either. Any advice on this?

Are you sure it's autofocus and NOT VR?

mikeyg36

Okay, my 24-85mm 3.5-4. G lens doesn't make the noise. I'm thinking it's a problem with the lens motor. The pictures came out fine, but the camera was really slow and un-responsive with the larger lens. :ambivalence: