Good Evening fellow Nikonites

justbgunrg

Hi all,
I've only had my D5100 three weeks and I've already shot over 300 frames. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed photography. Right now I only have the kit lens, but I am eyeing the 85mm f/3.5 G VR AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor for close-ups on artist signatures, flaws etc.
Back in the late 70s, I had purchased a Canon AE-1 while stationed in Germany. I used it throughout my travels and home for family events. But, then life changes and somethings get put aside.
Now, my partner and I, buy and sell antique Am Art Pottery. Last year I got the bright idea of creating a web site. I had to learn a lot to get a small static site up. Now, I'm working on an e-commerce site and of course that means product pictures. I tried with a Canon PS SX120IS but just couldn't get the quality I wanted. Thus, I bought the D5100 and I've been experimenting and reading, experimenting and reading.
Started with D5100 for Dummies. It's cute, I have to chuckle every now and then. It is great for the basics, but it can only take you so far. I just started "Light, Science and Magic" 4th edition. And immediately I am perplexed. The book states there is a difference in the shadow between figures 2.5 and 2.7. I do not see a difference. I have the Kindle edition and I am thinking I do not see a difference because of the limitation of monitors. IE that 72ppi vs 240 or 300 for print thing. Or, I REALLY need to get my eyes checked. I may go down to Half Price books and look at a printed version.
I like being busy, and the above allows my creative side, what little there is, have free reign. OK enough about me!
I look forward to chatting with you.

Welcome to the forum

Some useful links
Nikon Product Manuals available for download
Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor

I shoot the D5100 and so do a very large group of the members here. It is a great little camera. The links in my signature are pretty good viewing for the D5100. Take a little time and go through them. You will enjoy them.

300 frames in three weeks? You have got to step up the shooting. Due to injury I have not shot in a couple of weeks but this afternoon I did get back out. I shot 700 frames in a couple of hours.

Ber sure to post some of your shots. That is a good way to get feedback on how you are doing. It is a great way to get better.

Guidelines to adding a photo to your post.

1. Resize photo to 1000px on the long side.
2. Resolution set to 72px

These guidelines will be good for viewing on a computer but will not be good for printing. This will help safeguard your copyright.