Real Estate Interior Settings Newbie Question

JD7K

Could anyone share with me some specific settings for shooting real estate interiors? I have selected to use the Tokina 11-16 as my glass and will not be using any flash. I will be shooting a beach house with plenty of windows and natural light. I am wanting to focus primarily on the interior and would like to "blow out" the windows with light. I realize I am setting myself up for some abuse here as this question is like a newbie fisherman asking a seasoned vet where his favorite honey holes are.:flustered:

MrF

If you're looking to completely blow out the windows, it shouldn't be too hard. Spot meter an interior wall, or just leave it on matrix metering and crank up the exposure compensation until you get what you want.

Is there a reason you want to wash out the windows? Every professional real estate photo I've seen in a windowed room shows the view out the windows. Especially for a beach house, where the view is likely one of the selling points.

Also, if you fill out your profile it can make it easier for people to help you. For example, what camera are you using? (Sorry about stealing your thunder, Don).

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I would go the complete other way and use HDR exposure blending to match the interior with the exterior view. And I's use a bounced flash to even out the light in the room. But this is only my opinion. It's kind of hard to advise without your camera and experience included in your profile.

JD7K

I'm shooting a D7000. I have absolutely no experience in photography and have owned the camera about 2 weeks.

Horoscope Fish

I'm shooting a D7000. I have absolutely no experience in photography and have owned the camera about 2 weeks.
Applying the KISS method, I would suggest, first and foremost, you drop everything and buy a good tripod and probably a wireless remote or cable-release for your D7000. While you're doing that read up on how to use Aperture Priority Mode. I would suggest small apertures and a low ISO. Oh, and you'll want some editing software that will allow you to correct for lens distortion because you're probably going to have some that to deal with. Architectural photography is probably the single best way to find out aaaaaall about things like barrel and perspective distortions and how to go about fixing them.

MrF

I would definitely try to showcase the view then. Here's an example I found after some quick googling: new beach house interior by ~outboxdesign on deviantART. I don't know what kind of windows you have, but you can imagine how much worse that shot would have looked if the window was just one washed out white area.

There are a few routes you can go. HDR, like Marcel said, is a great option but there is a little bit of a learning curve to it. Some searching should yield some how-tos and software, but it's essentially taking multiple exposures and blending them together into one balanced scene.

Your other option is to try to balance the light inside and outside the room. A flash is a good way to do this, but as Marcel said, make sure it's bounce flash. There are other options. My dad used to use an old 700W movie light that went with my granddad's 8mm movie camera. That thing pointed at the ceiling would really light up the room. Depending on which way the windows face, you can wait until near dusk and see how that works too. Try some practice shots in your house and see what works.

JD7K

Thanks! I have a tripod and IR remote on order to arrive this week. I work in Photoshop almost daily so while I am a complete newbie as far as photography and photography terminology is concerned, I do feel somewhat comfortable in post. I picked up the Nikon D7000 Digital Field Guide and D7000 for Dummies so I'll take your advice and begin reading up on the Aperture Priority Mode. My first few weeks of ownership have basically been relegated to learning/exploring the Scene modes. I just need to take this particular project to the next level. Additionally we have an upcoming Disney trip so I have decided that I would use architecturals and interiors as my leaping point into the world of photography.

JD7K

Thanks again for the responses. I can't believe a question like that, asking for specifics, didn't get me railed out of here. I will be shooting over Memorial Day weekend so I doubt I would have time to learn the intricacies of shooting HDR. I think the term "Newbie" gives me to much credit. My reason for wanting to blow out the windows is that there are power lines outside of them as well as other beach houses obstructing view. The house I am shooting is new construction with brand new modern furniture and appliances so I am really wanting to focus on showcasing the interior. I will have supplemental exterior shots to showcase area amenities/activities.

Horoscope Fish

Thanks! I have a tripod and IR remote on order to arrive this week. I work in Photoshop almost daily so while I am a complete newbie as far as photography and photography terminology is concerned, I do feel somewhat comfortable in post. I picked up the Nikon D7000 Digital Field Guide and D7000 for Dummies so I'll take your advice and begin reading up on the Aperture Priority Mode. My first few weeks of ownership have basically been relegated to learning/exploring the Scene modes. I just need to take this particular project to the next level. Additionally we have an upcoming Disney trip so I have decided that I would use architecturals and interiors as my leaping point into the world of photography.
Sounds to me like you're doing all the right things!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks again for the responses. I can't believe a question like that, asking for specifics, didn't get me railed out of here. I will be shooting over Memorial Day weekend so I doubt I would have time to learn the intricacies of shooting HDR. I think the term "Newbie" gives me to much credit. My reason for wanting to blow out the windows is that there are power lines outside of them as well as other beach houses obstructing view. The house I am shooting is new construction with brand new modern furniture and appliances so I am really wanting to focus on showcasing the interior. I will have supplemental exterior shots to showcase area amenities/activities.

Well, I think you never thought about what you were getting into. Photography is a trade and an art. There is learning involved that simply said is not included in the box which held the camera you just bought.

So you have choices. Learn fast by trial and error, find someone knowledgable that can help you, hire a professionnal photographer to do the job and learn at the same time.

Best of luck with your new camera.

If you have questions (specific), we will be more than happy to try to help you.

​Enjoy your Nikon!

JD7K

Well, I think you never thought about what you were getting into. Photography is a trade and an art. There is learning involved that simply said is not included in the box which held the camera you just bought.

So you have choices. Learn fast by trial and error, find someone knowledgable that can help you, hire a professionnal photographer to do the job and learn at the same time.

Best of luck with your new camera.

If you have questions (specific), we will be more than happy to try to help you.

​Enjoy your Nikon!

Those are all things I assumed and are partially the reasons for registering. I have thought about getting into photography for years. Now that I have made the plunge I expect learning the craft to be a lifetime experience. Just looking for guidance for an upcoming project.

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Those are all things I assumed and are partially the reasons for registering. I have thought about getting into photography for years. Now that I have made the plunge I expect learning the craft to be a lifetime experience. Just looking for guidance for an upcoming project.

Try to get a basic photography book to understand exposure, shutter speed and aperture. These are the basics that you'll have to understand before you progress.
The beauty of the digital age is that you don't have to wait to see your results and you can experiment all you want to get what you're after. But if you want to experiment, don't try to do it in the presence of a paying customer. You've got to do your learning on your own before you can sell/use your shots commercially.

JD7K

Try to get a basic photography book to understand exposure, shutter speed and aperture. These are the basics that you'll have to understand before you progress.
The beauty of the digital age is that you don't have to wait to see your results and you can experiment all you want to get what you're after. But if you want to experiment, don't try to do it in the presence of a paying customer. You've got to do your learning on your own before you can sell/use your shots commercially.

I fully agree. I would never charge a customer for something I would be unsure I could deliver at market rate in a time frame that would be profitable. What I have referred to as a project is for personal use for some marketing collateral which I will be developing for rental purposes. This is a family owned property and not that of a client. The way I learn is to create a project, then "reverse engineer" from there. I'll have several days to get the shot(s) right but right now everything is brand new so in those regards I'll only get one shot at it. Fingers crossed.

For me the time is right to create these learning "projects" as I have a couple upcoming events which lend themselves to excellent opportunity. Interior beach house shots, New Orleans wedding, Disney 4th and sporting events to name a few. My plan of attack (wishlist arsenal), please let me know if I'm on the right track:

D7000 - check
Sigma 18-250 - check
Tokina 11-16 - next
Nikkor 35mm 1.8
IR Remote - check
Bag - check
Tripod - check
SB-400 Speedlight

READ, LEARN, & PRACTICE

Horoscope Fish

My plan of attack (wishlist arsenal), please let me know if I'm on the right track:

D7000 - check
Sigma 18-250 - check
Tokina 11-16 - next
Nikkor 35mm 1.8
IR Remote - check
Bag - check
Tripod - check
SB-400 Speedlight
I would suggest a couple things...

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I fully agree. I would never charge a customer for something I would be unsure I could deliver at market rate in a time frame that would be profitable. What I have referred to as a project is for personal use for some marketing collateral which I will be developing for rental purposes. This is a family owned property and not that of a client. The way I learn is to create a project, then "reverse engineer" from there. I'll have several days to get the shot(s) right but right now everything is brand new so in those regards I'll only get one shot at it. Fingers crossed.

For me the time is right to create these learning "projects" as I have a couple upcoming events which lend themselves to excellent opportunity. Interior beach house shots, New Orleans wedding, Disney 4th and sporting events to name a few. My plan of attack (wishlist arsenal), please let me know if I'm on the right track:

D7000 - check
Sigma 18-250 - check
Tokina 11-16 - next
Nikkor 35mm 1.8
IR Remote - check
Bag - check
Tripod - check
SB-400 Speedlight

READ, LEARN, & PRACTICE

The Tokina will be extremely useful.

JD7K

Okay, my first attempt. I am using my own kitchen here and the lens that I currently have (18-250) while I am waiting on the 11-16. Tripod mounted but hand triggered. I've got a long way to go. LOL. Any input is appreciated.

test1.jpgtest2.jpg

Horoscope Fish

Okay, my first attempt. I am using my own kitchen here and the lens that I currently have (18-250) while I am waiting on the 11-16. Tripod mounted but hand triggered. I've got a long way to go. LOL. Any input is appreciated.
First and foremost you need to get those windows under control; they're blowing out HARD.