A D3000 as a spare for the D5000

jl46375

I need some help folks. I have been taking photographs at my grandsons football games all year long with my D5000 and a 70-300mm lens. Yesterday with 2 minutes to go in the game, the off switch quit working. I did everything. Reset button, new battery, even another lens. Nothing worked. The d5000 was refurbishd and has worked super for me for the last 106 days. Of course I have a 90 day warranty but the company I bought it from said they cover the other 9 months That is good news.

My dilema is this. It will take 2-3 weeks for the body to come back from being repaired. They suggested a D3000 for $299 body only to use as a spare. I like the idea but ask for your advice. I need to get a body here by Thursday afternoon or go crazy not being able to take the game. Just received a Nikkor 24-70 AF-S F/2.8 and a 80-200mm AF-s F/2.8. Now no body to mount them on..... Life is not fair... Your replies are more than welcomed. Jerry

pjl

Look around your area for a rental.

I've used www.borrowlenses.com .
3 day, week, monthly rentals.
They've got all manner of camera bodies and lenses.
They're fast and friendly; good gear.
They can probably get it to you in a couple three days with straight ground shipping, faster if you pay more...

fotojack

I's suggest taking the D3000 as a spare. It's a good camera, and at least you'll have it for the big game. You can always sell it later on if you wish, but I'd keep it as a spare for just those instances that something bad happens to your primary camera.