D300 upgrade

sharkman

I would like to upgrade my D300, I am considering the D7100 as it's replacement. My main camera body is the D3s, but I would like a camera with a 1.5 sensor as well. Any thoughts?

​Thanks

West

Having both, I can attest that the D7100 is a better cam. It's basically a D4 in a compact body at a fraction of the cost, the AF is a lot more responsive on this cam than the D300, also the 1.3x mode virtually doubles your reach, not to mention the crop flexibility factor with the 24mp.
It's compact size and BIG time performance will probably stop me from buying a future D400 which will probably be D800's size with minor upgrades at 30% - 50% price increase.
The only drawback is it's buffer performance if you shoot action in NEF, other than that, it's the best camera deal out there by far.

Epoc

What's the buffer like if shooting the highest quality jpegs as opposed to RAWs? Does it still choke after a second or 2?

West

What's the buffer like if shooting the highest quality jpegs as opposed to RAWs? Does it still choke after a second or 2?

It's no choke artist :D

Very quick and holds AF very well. DPR has an in-depth review on the cam.

Mfrankfort

D600. J/k. I'm biased. 7100 seems like a solid top of the line DX. If you spend the money on the D3, Buying the 7100 shouldn't be a problem. Feel free to buy me one too. :) Heard really good things about the 7100.

AxeMan - Rick S.

D7100 Memory Card Test - YouTube

What you are looking for is at 4:30. This IS the best card you can get for the D7100 I have seen them as low as $35 and as high as $70. I had two of them in my D7100 right now.

If you are shooting JPG ONLY buffer issues do not come into play. Without watching the video again while typing this, JPG only is going to average you about 50 JPG’s in 10 seconds IF you are using a higher quality card.

I think this can be achieved (for JPG only) buy buying a cheaper card other than the Extreme Pro you would have to watch the video and see which one fits your needs.

If you want a camera with a 1.5 sensor and do not own a D7000, this would be the camera to get. I have read most people who do own a D7000 do not feel a need to upgrade to the D7100.

I moved up from a D90, which has the same sensor as the D300, I think it was a great move for me, night and day difference in picture quality.

If your looking to move into a D7100 for a 1.5 sensor seeing how you have full frame already you going to have to accept or work around the fact that your are going to have buffer issues with it when you “motor drive” while shooting RAW. It is my understanding that the D7000 has similar or the same buffer issues when shooting RAW I don’t know I don’t own one.

To sum it all up for anyone else reading this and thinking about the D7100, let me put is in simple terms for you.

If you are a JPG shooter only, buffer issues should not be an issue with a higher-class card. If you shoot RAW and like to “Spray and pray” the D7100 might not be for you.

If you are wildlife photographer and shoot RAW you’re going to have to time your shots a little differently or move into a full frame camera which that buffer can handle more continuous shooting than the D7100 can. Again based on you style or skill level this camera may not be for you.

You other choice is to wait for the next DX body to come out, be it a replacement to the D7100 or the long awaited (my never happen) replacement to the D300 and hope Nikon addresses the buffer issues in RAW mode.