need advice on following lens

voop

Nikon fit - Sigma 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 D APO Macro is this lens any good for a newb :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Alecaldi

Yes, you can AF with it in a D3100. Or at least that I been told at Pitman supply.

But some reviews are a bit harsh on it. Nonetheless, you must take into account that is a good price and some reviews tend to analize to such a deep of detail that an amateur is unable to see the impact even if it tries hard.

I have the next step to that lens, which comes with Optical Stabilizer (the Sigma's version fo VR). Thus far I'am very happy, but, comparison shouldn't be made, since it's not the same lens with OS. For one, It has no macro capabilities (and reviews tend to be far more positive). So it wouldn't be a good comparison.

Here are some reviews about this lens (nothing new under the sun, you can get them with Google, because that was the lens I originally wanted to buy a week ago): Sigma AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG APO macro - Review / Test Report.

The rest of the reviews I've found arrives, more or less, to the very same conclusions.

Poor to regular results on the 300mm edge, a noisy motor for the AF.

Well, just read it for yourself:

"Verdict

The Sigma AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG APO macro came close to a surprise but it still hasn´t won the cigar. It delivered pretty decent results in most aspects, specifically at 70mm and 200mm, but at 300mm the border resolution is nothing short of dismal - certainly not apochromatic as claimed by Sigma (nor would we really expect that from such a budget lens). Nonetheless you may argue that the center performance of the lens is on a very high level throughout the range and for many tele applications your main subject is often located close to the center so the border problems may not be all that obvious in the real life. As such it still remains an interesting budget solution. If you prefer a sharp border to border quality look elsewhere though ... and prepare yourself to invest quite a bit more. "

I still wonder if it is just another Robert Capa clone complaning or if a guy like me wolud be able to appreciate the difference. Good luck I had the money for the next step.

Last edited:

voop

Went with this one instead.
TAMARON LD572D 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 AF lens

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2