Best options for photographing packaging

stedders

I have a project for work which means I need to photograph some packaging – to the extent that the wording on the packaging needs to be as clear and crisp as possible.

When I have tried it in the past the text on the packaging looks a little soft and fuzzy.

I appreciate that this is almost an impossible question, and that it depends on a number of other factors, but are there pointers anyone can give me as to the best mode to be using.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
What you need for start is good light. This is a prerequisite for sharpness and definition in product photography. Now depending on how big and how reflective the surfaces of the packaging are there would be different solutions. You can usually get away with one large light box and a reflector. You need to go with trial and error to make your initial setup and then maybe vary it a bit depending on how different the products are.

You will have to apply some sharpening if you shoot raw. Contrast is also something not to neglect as it can give illusion of sharpness or lack of it when there is not enough.

​Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
One of the best practice is to use a tripod, mirror lock up, and trigger with a remote if available. If not, use the shutter actuation button. Don't use lower than 1/30 or slower.

crycocyon

And shoot around f5.6 to f8 in aperture priority or manual mode to make sure you are getting the sweet spot in terms of lens sharpness.