Sigma 28/70

Phil.c

Hi All,

I am thinking of buying a D600 for model railway photography, I currently own a Canon 40D.

Two questions if I might!

Will the extra expence be worth it and will my 28/70 Sigma lense fit?

Phil

GeeAirMo

The Sigma 28-70 will fit if it is a Nikon Mount version.

If you we're using it on a Canon...it will probably not fit the D600.

Cowboybillybob1

I own the sigma 24-70 f/2.8 (I am not aware of the 28-70) and I use it on my D600. Works like a charm, Auto Focus and all. It also keeps the f/2.8 throughout it's focal range. You can change the aperture also if you need or care to.
Very nice lens.

EDIT:
After doing a bit of research on the 28-70 I can see how the 28-70 is a totally different lens not only in features but big time in price as well.

Sorry I wasted every one's time but the 24-70 at around $1300.00 is a kick butt lens.

Last edited:

Phil.c

Thanks for the replies.

The good thing about my 28-70 is that I can go to f32 with it, I need this for good depth of field, I believe the 24-70 only goes to f22?

BackdoorArts

I have to say that I'd be hard pressed to find situations where I'd be shooting at f22 and curse myself for not having enough depth of field. Amazingly hard pressed.

If you find that you can live with f22, I have a 24-70mm Nikon mount for sale, barely used. Works great with my D600.

BackdoorArts

Great point, Rick. Take a look at this blog post if you don't know what Rick means. While you may get more depth of field beyond f22, the way the light is squeezed through that narrow opening can wreak havoc with your sharpness because of diffraction issues.

Understanding Lens Diffraction

Phil.c

I've used focus stacking with good results, yesturdey I tried posting a picture of what i'm photographing but had a message saying that it has to be passed.

Phil