Newbie from Chicago

mapman

Greetings... not sure how to classify myself as a photographer, probably more of a avid hobbyist or armature.

All through college I was always the one with a camera taking pictures wherever I went, and now that I have kids I knew the simple point and shoot cameras weren't up to the task. My first step into the wider world of digital photography was a Nikon P500, but that still wasn't getting the shots I wanted. So once I could afford it I upgraded to a used D3000 with a 18-55mm lens. I quickly found that the 18-55mm was not enough and purchased a refurbished 55-200mm lens.

I recently acquired a used d5000 with the same lenses and just sold off my d3000.... It's been suggested to me to dump the DSLR and get into the new Mirrorless cameras, but I am hesitant and think I'll stick with what I have for the time being, or possibly selling the d5000 and upgrading to a d5100.

Primarily I take pictures of my kids, and of any scenic location we happen to travel to, which nowadays is pretty rare. I tend to shoot in P mode, but as I am learning more I am trying other modes. Rarely do I use auto setting anymore.

I am looking forward to checking out this site and all it has to offer.