Have a guess

Roy1961

Contributor
Going on a comment my wife made about my hobby, how much do you think you have spent on your "Main" camera gear, mine is not the best camera stuff but so far from xmas I have spent $1200 on my camera and 18-105 lens, $330 for my speed light, $200 for the 35mm, $370 for the 55-300 I ordered last night, $100 for the bag, $100 for 2 64gb cards, $40 of the tripod.

That's almost $2350, I know some of the top line cameras cost more than this, its an expensive hobby but totally enjoyable.

Sambr

I take the "5th" On advice from my inner self and for my self preservation(wife would kill me if the amount was known)

Bill4282

More than that but when I upgraded from D40 to D90 and gave my D40, SB400, old bag, 18-55 kit lens to her she quit complaining. Now all she asks is if I'm getting tired of some of my lenses lol

RockyNH_RIP

My wife said too much ;)

Michael, my wife would have the same response !!! (Though she really is supportive)

Roy,

I have 1775 in my camera, bag, 18-55, 18-105, 55-300 and 2 primes, 50 and 35 1.8s. 2 Speedlights SB700 and Yongnuo 560II

My light stands, backdrop triggers etc adds another $200

Straps, reflectors etc puts me at about $2050

Shhhhh.. dont tell she who controls the purse strings!

Pat in NH

BackdoorArts

Unlike other hobbies like golf and skiing, DSLR's don't make you continue to fork over money after buying the equipment just to use it. That's what I keep reminding my wife (except when I'm off to the golf course - lol).

evan447

like most hobbies, as long as you dont hoard too much expensive rarely used stuff you can (almost) justify it.
at the moment i have 2 d7000 bodies, both with the mb-d11 grip. nikon af-s 300 f4 + tc 14ii, sigma 150 f2.8 +plus sigma 1.4tc. micro nikkor 60 f2.8 af-d, micro nikkor 105 af-d, tokina 11-16 f2.8 and nikon 50 f1.8. plus the sb 700 speedlight and metz 15ms1 macro flash. with various odds and sods.

Rick M

I've spent about 7k over the last two years, but it's my only expensive toy (besides my new travel trailer, but that's a family toy and doesn't count :)). Since I registered as a business, I increased my tax refund by $900 last year and hopefully the same this year. So that reduces the "true" cost.

Spending on this hobby is like any other. Is there ever too much. There is always that new or used "whatever" out there just waiting to be grabbed up. If my wife asks me how much something was? Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies. After all it's easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission. Right?

Dave

§am

I don't think you can spend too much, but you can spend 'stupid'!!
By that I mean, you buy it because you can, not because you need it, will use it etc, more just so you can say, oh yeah I got a D800E, but I sill shoot with my D40!!

I daren't tot up how much I've spent since I got mine, but suffice to say it's kept me happy, and I will slowly but surely be adding more to my 'needed' collection :)

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Slowly getting in to the pro business, which basically means, I now start to charge people with my services. So within the last 12 months, I have spent nearly $8k which includes strobes, backdrops, background stands, remotes, camera, lenses, software, printer, and other gadgets. Like with any other business, the initial cost is high but I expect to recover some, if not all of my expenses in the long run.

Rick M

Slowly getting in to the pro business, which basically means, I now start to charge people with my services. So within the last 12 months, I have spent nearly $8k which includes strobes, backdrops, background stands, remotes, camera, lenses, software, printer, and other gadgets. Like with any other business, the initial cost is high but I expect to recover some, if not all of my expenses in the long run.

Good thing is section 179 has been extended into 2013!

piperbarb

Between lenses, camera bodies, and all the paraphernalia (filters, sd cards, etc.), I think I have about $8000 in photo equipment. Add to that about $1800 for my Macbook Pro, upgraded memory & hard drive plus software. It adds up pretty quickly, but once the investment is made, there is not too much in recurring costs. Now, my other main hobby, knitting and hand spinning (to make yarn), total recurring costs. I must admit, though, I do not have as much money invested in fiber and needles as I have in photo equipment. When I bring yarn home, my spousal unit just rolls his eyes. It's no worse than all his power tools and nuts, bolts & screws that he hoards in his man cave. :)

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Good thing is section 179 has been extended into 2013!

Thanks for the info Rick. I didn't even think of that. What else can I ask for, I was able to buy more camera equipment, get to shoot and still get paid for it. Not a bad deal at all.

In the mean time, I'm doing youth sports portraits and team pictures in our community. From baseball, basketball, and even Karate. :)