Question about D3100

LForLearner

Hi Friends
am new to this site.....and a very basic question.
My camera produces the soft background effect (bokeh) when in guide mode but if i reproduce exactly the same settings in 'M' mode, it does not. Is it just me or the is the camera defective. Some more details.

In guide mode :
I go to 'soften background'
Then :
Aperture : F/5.6
Shuuter Speed :1/60
I get the results i want.

'M' mode :
Aperture : F/5.6
Shuuter Speed :1/60
I do not get the the background blurred. In fact the foreground is blurred.

Also, the distance between the camera and the subject is exactly the same. I am using the standard 18-55mm lens. ISO in both cases is alo the same.

Please help.

nickt

Like SS said above, check the focus modes. The focus modes don't necessarily have to be the same, but your focus point must fall on your subject. It sounds like in manual mode, your focus point was on something in the background. That would cause the opposite effect of what you are looking for, making the subject blur and the background sharp. So however you acquire focus in manual mode, make sure your focus point is on the subject and the background should blur as it does in guide mode with other settings the same.

SteveH

If the foreground is blurred and not the background when in M mode, I'm guessing you are focussing on the background... Check the focus mode and make sure you focus on the subject.