D7000 AF-L / AE-E button used for focus, sports photography

Mikeydigs

I have a technique question , I have a Nikon 70-200 vr (great lens) there are several focus lock button on end of the lens. I have found this easy to use. I have tried to perfect the technique of using the rear focus lock button, but the shutter button on the D7000 is sensitive, and I often miss fire the shot . Today I played with the settings and assigned the rear AF-L button to focus the camera. I was wondering if the rear button will also lock focus ? I took some practice shots and they look good . I am not sure if I was locked or following my subject ? any suggestions?

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I have a technique question , I have a Nikon 70-200 vr (great lens) there are several focus lock button on end of the lens. I have found this easy to use. I have tried to perfect the technique of using the rear focus lock button, but the shutter button on the D7000 is sensitive, and I often miss fire the shot . Today I played with the settings and assigned the rear AF-L button to focus the camera. I was wondering if the rear button will also lock focus ? I took some practice shots and they look good . I am not sure if I was locked or following my subject ? any suggestions?

You are right on track. Assign the AF-L/AE-E to AF ON (F5 menu)

Then you must switch release mode priority on the AF-S and AF-C from "Focus" to "Release".

Go To Menu

Go to Customs Setting Mode
Go to A1 ... choose "Release" (instead of Focus)
Go to A2 ... choose "Release" (instead of Focus)

Use AF-C single point. By doing this, you disable the AF by half-pressing the shutter and use the AF-L rear button to focus on your subject instead. It takes getting use to it but you'll have more keepers.

jwstl

The great thing about using the AF-ON button if your camera has it or assigning it if not, is that to lock focus all you have to do is release the button after focusing. I do a lot of focus, re-frame, and shoot and this is a great way to do it. Another advantage is the separation of focus from exposure. When you re-frame a shot your exposure could change. If you use the shutter to lock focus it also locks exposure. I don't want that. Now when I re-frame I can press the shutter and let the meter get the new exposure.