D800E Full Review *Video Review*

Lurch

You seem to like the camera. Just a little.
In saying that; D800e vs D800. I played with both significantly before I bought the D800. I only found the AA-removal sharpness to be apparent between f4 and f5.6. Outside of that, they were both equally as sharp.

Corey @ Faymus Media

You seem to like the camera. Just a little.
In saying that; D800e vs D800. I played with both significantly before I bought the D800. I only found the AA-removal sharpness to be apparent between f4 and f5.6. Outside of that, they were both equally as sharp.

Depends on what you shoot. I notice the sharpness difference on almost everything. Especially in wedding and modeling portraits. In landscape and its a given that it is significant between f/4.0-f/11. However even at f/1.3-f/2.8 most times I can tell.

Lurch

I guess a lot has to do with a) the lens youre using, b) how close youre looking, and c) how big youre intending on printing.
But theyre both tremendous cameras.

Corey @ Faymus Media

I guess a lot has to do with a) the lens youre using, b) how close youre looking, and c) how big youre intending on printing.
But theyre both tremendous cameras.

completely agree 100%. The D800 or D800E are the best DSLR's ever made. Honestly, cant go wrong with either. Love them both.

Lurch

Apart from ludicrous sharpness and great dynamic range; from a gear point of view I was quite surprised at how good non-brand lenses are these days too (only got my gear last week :) came from Pentax)
My Tammy 24-70 VC USD (insert half the alphabet here) is amazing. The If Nikon had released their 24-70 with VR yet, I probably would have gone that way.

Oh, and great, fun review by the way :D

Corey @ Faymus Media

Apart from ludicrous sharpness and great dynamic range; from a gear point of view I was quite surprised at how good non-brand lenses are these days too (only got my gear last week :) came from Pentax)
My Tammy 24-70 VC USD (insert half the alphabet here) is amazing. The If Nikon had released their 24-70 with VR yet, I probably would have gone that way.

Oh, and great, fun review by the way :D

The tamron has great VC, its amazing. However the Tamron 24-70 is not up to the quality of the Nikon 24-70 in AF speed, sharpness, build quality, or overall image quality. The thing i HATE about the Tamron 24-70mm is the fact that the focus ring is on the back! its the only lens that does this and renders it useless for video rigs and shoulder mount systems with follow focus, which was the reason they released it with VC was for video.

Defeats the purpose in my opinion. Watch my review:

Lurch

*Shrug*
Having played solidly with both, I just couldnt see the 'twice the price'. Even pixel peeping (which I hate by the way) the only place I found the Tammy not quite as sharp was right up in the corners and I found the LR lens profile compensated for that anyway. Build quality? perhaps. Sharpness? As stated. Overall IQ? Sorry mate, just gotta disagree.
But hey; how boring would it be if we all agreed on everything :D

Corey @ Faymus Media

*Shrug*
Having played solidly with both, I just couldnt see the 'twice the price'. Even pixel peeping (which I hate by the way) the only place I found the Tammy not quite as sharp was right up in the corners and I found the LR lens profile compensated for that anyway. Build quality? perhaps. Sharpness? As stated. Overall IQ? Sorry mate, just gotta disagree.
But hey; how boring would it be if we all agreed on everything :D

I can agree that it would be boring if we all thought the same thing. The reason I dislike the Tamron is because they built a lens for video, and it wont work with most video rigs. Makes no sense.

STM

completely agree 100%. The D800 or D800E are the best DSLR's ever made. Honestly, cant go wrong with either. Love them both.

Again, it depends on what you are using it for. If you are shooting sports, both fall short, because their fps is slow compared to say an F3 or F4. No one is disputing its amazing resolving power, however, but for most people a very large amount of that will be wasted because very few print to sizes where that kind of resolution will even be noticed. On an computer monitor, I doubt anyone could tell the difference between a D800 and a D3 or D700, especially since the web is 72 dpi. I seriously doubt I would ever get one. If I upgrade my D700, it will most likely be to a D4 or even a D3X. I have had several of my images enlarged to 16x20 and they are still extremely sharp.

Corey @ Faymus Media

Again, it depends on what you are using it for. If you are shooting sports, both fall short, because their fps is slow compared to say an F3 or F4. No one is disputing its amazing resolving power, however, but for most people a very large amount of that will be wasted because very few print to sizes where that kind of resolution will even be noticed. On an computer monitor, I doubt anyone could tell the difference between a D800 and a D3 or D700, especially since the web is 72 dpi. I seriously doubt I would ever get one. If I upgrade my D700, it will most likely be to a D4 or even a D3X. I have had several of my images enlarged to 16x20 and they are still extremely sharp.

each to their own. The dynamic range is superior in the D800 vs the D3 series. Also, I can see a huge difference between the D4, D3s and D800 even on my monitor.

STM

each to their own. The dynamic range is superior in the D800 vs the D3 series. Also, I can see a huge difference between the D4, D3s and D800 even on my monitor.

There is so much more to an outstanding photograph than resolution or sharpness. In portraiture, super high resolving power is not an atribute, quite to the contrary, especially when photographing women, and I have been doing it for over 25 years. When photographing women with my Hasselblad and a very high resolving film like Kodak TMAX-100, I have to print through a Cokin diffusion filter because the images are too sharp. No woman wants to see every single little peach fuzz hair on their chin or above their lip. The same is true with the D700. The portriture I do with it is usually blurred slightly in PS using gaussian blur for the very same reasons. One of the things I have seen come out of digital photography is a near obsession by so many people on the technicalities of their equipment rather than the art or aesthetics of the final output. Back in the days when there was nothing but film, the emphasis by serious photographers was on the aesthetics of final print rather than how many megapixels their camera's sensor had. That is something I still adhere to, but as you said, to each their own.

jwstl

One of the things I have seen come out of digital photography is a near obsession by so many people on the technicalities of their equipment rather than the art or aesthetics of the final output. Back in the days when there was nothing but film, the emphasis by serious photographers was on the aesthetics of final print rather than how many megapixels their camera's sensor had. That is something I still adhere to, but as you said, to each their own.

The only thing that's changed is the technology and the internet that allows these obsessions to be heard and shared with more people. Back in the film days people cared as much about lens sharpness and print quality as they do now. It's the reason T-Max replaced Tri-X as the most popular b&w film...it was much finer grained and allowed for bigger prints. But it wasn't a better film. It's the reason Velvia film was so popular...Fine grained with exaggerated color which made images pop. It's the reason Leica's were so highly regarded....lens sharpness. There will always be those who focus more on the tools than the aesthetics. The tools have changed, but that's all.

Corey @ Faymus Media

The only thing that's changed is the technology and the internet that allows these obsessions to be heard and shared with more people. Back in the film days people cared as much about lens sharpness and print quality as they do now. It's the reason T-Max replaced Tri-X as the most popular b&w film...it was much finer grained and allowed for bigger prints. But it wasn't a better film. It's the reason Velvia film was so popular...Fine grained with exaggerated color which made images pop. It's the reason Leica's were so highly regarded....lens sharpness. There will always be those who focus more on the tools than the aesthetics. The tools have changed, but that's all.

Well said. I agree.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
The thing i HATE about the Tamron 24-70mm is the fact that the focus ring is on the back! Its the only lens that does this and renders it useless for video rigs and shoulder mount systems with follow focus, which was the reason they released it with VC was for video.

I'll be the devil's advocate here.

Are you sure about your claim? Is the focus ring any different than the Nikon 24-120mm f4 VRII? How certain are you that Tamron only released the lens was for video? Or was that just your opinion?

Corey @ Faymus Media

I'll be the devil's advocate here.

Are you sure about your claim? Is the focus ring any different than the Nikon 24-120mm f4 VRII? How certain are you that Tamron only released the lens was for video? Or was that just your opinion?

90% of the pro lenses have the focus ring on the front. You don't need Vibration control @ 24mm so why else put VC on it?

Tamron actually said somewhere that it was video inspired,

Anyway lets try to keep this thread on topic for the d800. Kinda sidetracked.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
90% of the pro lenses have the focus ring on the front. You don't need Vibration control @ 24mm so why else put VC on it?

Tamron actually said somewhere that it was video inspired,

Anyway lets try to keep this thread on topic for the d800. Kinda sidetracked.

I'll go a little off topic here since I feel that this needs to be addressed.

Whether we need VR or VC, that is up to the lens manufacturer who designed it and it's up to the consumer if we want to buy it or not. Nikon 16-35mm f4 VRII has vibration reduction but people still buy it and some find the VR useful with that focal range especially when shooting at lower shutter speed.

I'm just trying to make sure that what we post here are "facts" and accurate. What you posted was not completely true which is why I questioned it. If they are just opinions, then simply state: "In my opinion or IMHO,..." This is a free membership forum, and some of the members here might interpret wrong information as fact, which is already very common around the internet.

I agree that we should stick with the subject. :)

Dmax35

First of all, thanks for taking the time to create and share your video, things you covered on it I was unaware of and found it to be informative.
Nice job!