card issue

Sevenup

I just got my 7000 from B&H last week with a SanDisk Extreme 16g class 10 card.
Yesterday I had about 50 shots on this new card (and new camera) and I went to take video- by all accounts on the screens it was working fine. When I went to replay the video to make sure it worked the screen went blank with the hourglass symbol. I let it sit for a few minutes and realized when I checked again in the card brackets on the top screen it says ERR.

I've seen this several times from looking around on here and online but it usually seems it is from using lesser quality cards.

What should I do next?

crashton

Have you put the card in a reader in the computer to see if the video is there? What brand & type of card are you using?

Edit, DOH! You told us what card. I've never had a problem with a sandisk card. Used them for years.

Last edited:

§am

I would check the card to see if you can read the contents on your PC.
If you can, back up the data on there (if you want), then put the card in your camera and format it from within the D7000 menus.

Sandisk are usually very good with the quality of their cards - I have three and touch wood none have given me issues thus far :)

Roy1961

Contributor
the only problem i had with my card was the $12 reader wouldnt read the card (64 gb) i put it in my laptop slot and it worked fine, i think the cable supplied with my camera also worked, but i dont use it.

Sevenup

Ok, I only have a laptop that reads SDHC. And I had a 5200, took many pics on the SDHC that came with that kit over a weekend before formatting it and returning the 5200- my laptop read that Sandisk card just fine.

This card took pictures (can't remember, approximately 50) just fine and didn't show this issue until I tried to replay a recorded video.
The laptop does not read this card at all- it is not recognized when I open up "computer" in the removable drive.

I just went to the store and got a new SDHC, I could not find Sandisk Extreme but found a Sandisk SDHC 16G class 10.
When seated in slot 1 it reads 3.2k (just like the previous card said when initially inserted)

I don't want to mess up another card- I'm not sure where the issue lies. Should I try taking some video?

(I used to use SLR's but have been very busy in life and haven't even used a digital camera in a few years- thanks for your patience)

Horoscope Fish

How are you reading the card on your computer, are you using USB media reader or do you have a media reader built-in or what? I would try taking test pictures on the card and see if it behaves in-camera. If it does, I'd be looking at my media reader.

nickt

I don't want to mess up another card- I'm not sure where the issue lies. Should I try taking some video?

I would not worry about messing up another card. The only thing someone could do 'wrong' is not format in camera and that will not ruin a card. You need to determine if your camera is a 'card eater', so put the new card through a workout, pictures, video, pop it in and out, format it, reformat it, etc. Just work it. I doubt your camera killed the card, but anything is possible. If the second card becomes unusable, then I would start to suspect the camera.

If the bad card will not format in camera and the new card formats and works fine, I'd say your first card is bad. If you bought it recently, I would first try to exchange the card with B&H (assuming you bought it there). Sandisk is worried about fake cards and questions you a good bit before replacement. I'm getting a sandisk card replaced now, one of the plastic dividers between the electrical contacts lifted up and was causing me problems.

Sevenup

THANK you Nick, that is exactly the information I was looking for. It just seemed really odd that this issue only happened when I tried to playback video. The first "Extreme" Sandisk that came with the camera from B&H is not recognized by the computer that has no problem reading other SDHC cards now. The 2nd SanDisk card I bought from Sam's seems to be working just fine- I've not given it a great workout but have done about 30 pictures and a couple videos and have taken it in and out of the camera and computer- so far so good.
I'll play around with it a bit more today and contact B&H and see if they will help me by replacing the card.

nickt

I didn't think to mention it before, but make sure the card did not accidentally get locked. The lock should not cause an error and you still would be able to play back. You were using the card, so obviously it was not locked at that time. But if it did develop a minor error and then accidentally became locked, that would prevent you from reformatting it. I'm still feeling it is a bad card, I'm just over-thinking it now, lol.