kalta

Hi Everyone.

I have just taken up photography again after many years away, and I live in Cheltenham England.
On searching the internet for an answer to my question below I came across this forum and joined, so hopefully you'll go easy on me if I am repeating any already asked questions.
I have a D5100 with an SB700 flash, my daughter has an SB600 flash, can the SB700 be used as a master on the camera (hotshoe fitting) and the SB600 fired as a slave. I have tried a few settings but with no luck.
Thanks Kalta

I wish I could help you more but I only have one flash, the SB-700. If I have read it correctly the Sb-700 on the camera should be able to ack as commander and the Sb-700 should be able to be set up as slave. See if you can find the user manuals online and see how the settings should be to do this.

Once you get an answer please share it with all of us.

§am

Welcome to the forums Kalta. Another UK'er to the ranks :)

With regards to your issue - have you managed to set the SB600 in remote mode yet?
If not, have a look at the (online) manual to get it to set - I think it's something to do with the zoom button but I don't have a SB600 around so will ask a colleague at work who owns a pair.

I can help with the SB700 side as I have a couple, but beyond that do let us know how you're getting on with this

kalta

Hi
I managed to work it out.
The SB700 is fixed to the hot shoe on the D5100 and set to it MASTER...it comes up as CH1
On the SB600 press the ZOOM and MINUS button this puts it into REMOTE OFF...press MODE button to put change it to ON...Press the ON/OFF button this brings up your CHANNEL and GROUP setting ...press the MODE button and the CH will flash you now press the + or - button to set it to the same channel as the SB700 which in my case was CH1..press MODE again and the GROUP will flash ...press MODE again to stop it flashing and that's it. TO reset SB600 press MODE and ON OFF button.
Hope this helps.
kalta