basic gear for newbies

lestat

Hi guys,

I searched for basic gear in the forum but no results came back.

What do you guys suggest for basic gear that a newb, like me, should get; I have the D3000 with the 18-55mm lens that came in a kit and a 16GB 60x Class10 Kodak SD card, that's it.

Tripods, external triggers, lenses, filters, backpack, you know that kind of thing.

It would be awesome if you list your suggestions with the brand and model if possible and your experience with them.

Thank you! :)

AC016

Here is some suggestions: Tripod, a 55-200 or 55-300, a bag for sure, an extra memory card, maybe an extra battery, a remote. That should really get you up and running.

TedG954

Here is some suggestions: Tripod, a 55-200 or 55-300, a bag for sure, an extra memory card, maybe an extra battery, a remote. That should really get you up and running.

+1

The only thing I would add to that exact list is a Nikon 35mm 1.8 for interior shots in lower light. A LowePro 102 bag will fit all that equipment perfectly and it's comfortable to carry.

Good luck and enjoy your new addiction.

SkvLTD

I'd second 55-200, 1-2 more batteries, maybe another 16 or even 32gb card and a tri/monopod. Flashes, get when you feel you need them, as with everything else.

Horoscope Fish

A decent tripod (the Vista Explorer Tripod on Amazon is a good starting point for only $25)
Memory cards (2 at least, three is better in my opinion especially if you shoot RAW)
A spare camera battery (don't tempt fate by not having one)
A basic backpack style camera bag (no need to break the bank on this, either)
A copy of The D3100 Digital Field Guide (it's what the manual that came with your camera should have been)
A good camera SLING (sling, not strap) like a Black Rapid or Bos Strap Sliding Sling

As for suggesting lenses that's a little tougher... I dumped the 18-55 for a Nikon 18-105mm which rarely comes off my camera anymore. When it does it's for my 35mm f/1.8 "prime". I'd suggest that, or a 50mm f/1.8 for getting your feet wet. With all the above you'd be well-armed, and good to go for a while, all without breaking the bank.

carguy

My suggestions, things I wish I knew then...

Tripod: Buy a good tripod, don't need to break the bank. Be sure it is STURDY and tall enough to allow you to view through without bending down too much and does not require extending the tripod too much to make it 'taller'.

Bag: Might want more than one depending on what you do with the camera. There are a ton of options out there.

Buy an extra OEM camera battery and spare SD card. Can never tell when these will suddenly go on you and usually in the most inopportune time.

Buy a flash. No need to spend top dollar on a Nikon speedlight if you don't have the $$. Checkout TTL options from Yongnuo or Neewer. Buy a bracket of some kind to get the flash off the top of your camera.

Might want a Nikon OEM remote shutter trigger. Usually available for $10-$20 online.

Camera strap. Ditch the OEM strap. Not only do you look like a noob with a branded strap (sarcasm :) ) but the cross-the-shoulder options work so much better IMO.

Some options:

Black Rapid: BlackRapid.com Home of The Original Camera Sling™

I have the RS Sport - 2 with the optional BRYCE pocket: BlackRapid BRYCE Universal Pocket

Carry Speed: Carry Speed Store | Welcome

JOBY: Camera Straps by JOBY: UltraFit Sling Straps and the 3 Way

BossStrap: BosStrap - Home

Last edited:

crycocyon

I agree with all of these great suggestions. And I would also consider that as a beginner, the point isn't necessarily to weigh yourself down with more gear, the point is to take what you have now with that excellent quality 18-55 mm lens, and go out and work with it and find your subjects and discover the light with as little as possible. Right now you are learning and keeping it simple is the best thing. When you are ready for more challenges, then get more lenses and equipment.

I think the suggestion of the 35 mm 1.8 lens is a very good one because it is even simpler than the 18-55 and it gives you better low light or indoor shooting capability. And it is also an extremely sharp lens. If you plan to shoot things that are further away then the 55-200 would be a fine second choice.

lestat

Thank you everybody for all your awesome suggestions and don't worry crycocyon I want to learn and explore the lens that I have first and then I'll go for more stuff, like you said, keeping it simple.

I just wanted to keep in mind what is the basic gear I should get as I'm just starting and of course save some money to get new gear as I learn. The sling is a great idea to get thou and maybe some filters and/or the tulip filter, just saw some in Amazon for $12USD. I have a toploader bag so I don't need to worry about a carrying bag for now.

Again, thank you all. :)

Moab Man

Most important, more than anything else mentioned, get a UV filter to protect the lens. To some minimal degree it does help with UV from the sun, BUT more importantly twenty bucks on the filter will protect the far more expensive glass and coatings of your lens. With any new lens immediately put one on for protection. I preach this from experience. A week ago when walking in my door the camera swung a little bit and the end of the lens took a hit from the corner of a brick. Fortunately I had been given this advice and faithfully did so with every lens. That day I lost twenty bucks to a moment of carelessness rather than hundreds.

​I have NEVER got more bang for my buck than I did from that UV filter that day!

lestat

Thank you! Actually among the filters that I was thinking to order is one of those UV filters. Can I ask you guys your opinion about these two offers from Amazon? Which one do you think is the best? One they have more extras but it is cheaper, giving me the idea that quality is questionable but the other it's just 3 filters and like 3USD more expensive but it looks like they have more quality.

http://www.amazon.com/PLR-Resolution-Fluorescent-Polarizer-55-200mm/dp/B002P9FOUU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2GKOPBRW88AGN&coliid=I3VX477UUULPLM]Amazon.com: 52MM Professional Lens Accessory Kit for NIKON DSLR (D5100 D5000 D3100 D3000 D40 D60 D80 D3200) - Includes: Vivitar Filter Kit (UV, Polarizing, Fluorescent) + Carry Pouch + Tulip Lens Hood + Snap-On Lens Cap + Cap Keeper Leash + MagicFibe[/URL]

Kathy

Hi guys,

I searched for basic gear in the forum but no results came back.

What do you guys suggest for basic gear that a newb, like me, should get; I have the D3000 with the 18-55mm lens that came in a kit and a 16GB 60x Class10 Kodak SD card, that's it.

Tripods, external triggers, lenses, filters, backpack, you know that kind of thing.

It would be awesome if you list your suggestions with the brand and model if possible and your experience with them.

Thank you! :)

I am in the same boat as you, have just purchased the D5100 and got the 2 lens kits with it and thats it! So much I want! LOL
Good luck and happy shooting! :d

jwstl

Most important, more than anything else mentioned, get a UV filter to protect the lens. To some minimal degree it does help with UV from the sun, BUT more importantly twenty bucks on the filter will protect the far more expensive glass and coatings of your lens. With any new lens immediately put one on for protection. I preach this from experience. A week ago when walking in my door the camera swung a little bit and the end of the lens took a hit from the corner of a brick. Fortunately I had been given this advice and faithfully did so with every lens. That day I lost twenty bucks to a moment of carelessness rather than hundreds.

​I have NEVER got more bang for my buck than I did from that UV filter that day!

It seems the problem could have been avoided with a lens cap. No extra cost for that and it should be on if the lens isn't being used. The best advice I give is don't be careless with your equipment and use the caps. And don't waste money on UV filters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

Moab Man

It seems the problem could have been avoided with a lens cap. No extra cost for that and it should be on if the lens isn't being used. The best advice I give is don't be careless with your equipment and use the caps. And don't waste money on UV filters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

​Since not everyone, present company excluded, can be so perfect EVERY time I stand by the advice. One day though I will never make a "careless" mistake again and not need that silly added insurance. Thank you for correctly stating the obvious - yes the cap should have been on.

Axemaniac88

Another thing you might want to consider adding to your list of things to get is insurance to protect your camera. After having a slip on a rock at a waterfall a few weeks back and nearly dropping camera in the river, I decided insurance was an idea. Protect your Bubble offer it for £50 :)

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk

Horoscope Fish

It seems the problem could have been avoided with a lens cap. No extra cost for that and it should be on if the lens isn't being used.
For someone who only takes stills, or works in a studio, I suppose leaving the lens cap on when the, "lens isn't being used" is a fine idea. For myself, shooing almost exclusively outdoors, often in some pretty rough terrain, or who does street photography where speed is of the essence, I can't tell you how many shots I would have missed had I needed to stop and remove the lens cap before shooting. Maybe what you "SHOULD" do is consider that different people have different shooting styles and needs, and that simply because you don't feel the need for a protective filter some others, having vastly different needs than your own, just might.

The best advice I give is don't be careless with your equipment...
Thank you, Captain Obvious!

jwstl

For someone who only takes stills, or works in a studio, I suppose leaving the lens cap on when the, "lens isn't being used" is a fine idea. For myself, shooing almost exclusively outdoors, often in some pretty rough terrain, or who does street photography where speed is of the essence, I can't tell you how many shots I would have missed had I needed to stop and remove the lens cap before shooting. Maybe what you "SHOULD" do is consider that different people have different shooting styles and needs, and that simply because you don't feel the need for a protective filter some others, having vastly different needs than your own, just might.

Thank you, Captain Obvious!

In almost any shooting situation a lens hood provides the protection you need. It's amazing how much protection a lens hood and lens cap can provide if used. If you aren't using them then you are careless.

Apparently that it isn't obvious to everyone. But if you want to waste money on unnecessary equipment and lower the quality of your images, more power to you. I stand by what I said but that's the last I'll say about it.