55-300mm DX

Moab Man

Just got it tonight; unfortunately it was too dark to mess with it. I was not planning on buying it but couldn't pass up the deal. The lens was $399 but marked down to $300 because the lens hood had some apart. Nikon didn't properly attach the outer face that keeps all the springies in place for putting the hood on and off the lens. So a quick reassembly, a little epoxy, and I got a $100 discount and a new lens. Again, not a lens I was shopping for but couldn't pass up a $100 discount.

RockyNH_RIP

Just got it tonight; unfortunately it was too dark to mess with it. I was not planning on buying it but couldn't pass up the deal. The lens was $399 but marked down to $300 because the lens hood had some apart. Nikon didn't properly attach the outer face that keeps all the springies in place for putting the hood on and off the lens. So a quick reassembly, a little epoxy, and I got a $100 discount and a new lens. Again, not a lens I was shopping for but couldn't pass up a $100 discount.

Congrats! I have the same lens and like it alot... It is not the "best" but it does a fine job for me! I think you will enjoy it.

Pat in NH

stmv

best part about this lens, is that it is lightweight, and can be put on a belt pouch, so,, I wil go out with a D7000, and this on a pouch, use a 18x55 lens, and this lens, and you have a really compact kit.

no, these lens are not tough, but I have gotten decent results out of the lens combo,, enough, that I don't feel the need to carry pro glass for every occasion.

300 dollars is a great deal, I got mine for the same on sale. It comes down to value/cost ratios on lens.

I like using this lens, when I don't want to risk loosing a lens (like a trip to a Carribean island,, that the reviews says is too dangerous for gear).

Moab Man

What's your feedback on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!

This weekend I will be able to play with it, run it through the paces, and give feedback.

​One thing I don't like, but it is more a gripe of cosmetics than function, is that the hood has play in it. I prefer the way my others snap into place.

RockyNH_RIP

Moab, I have the same lens... the hood has those 2 little release hooks and it is loose .. It works fine though, I have had no issues with it.

Pat in NH

Moab Man

Moab, I have the same lens... the hood has those 2 little release hooks and it is loose .. It works fine though, I have had no issues with it.

Pat in NH
​Agreed, but it doesn't give a quality feel and we're talking pennies or less to better secure it.

Samsonite

Seems weird how sometimes they skimp out in things like this.. Like no lens foot on the new 70-200 F4...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!