What Is classed as a normal lens on a Nikon D90

Hi
Can some one please help me?

Out of the lenses I have listed below, Can you please tell me which is, or is closest to being a normal lens for a Nikon D90.

- Nikon 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6
- Tamron 28-200mm Macro 1.3:8-5.6
- Nikon 55-200mm 1:4-5.6
-Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3

Thank You

jwstl

Hi
Can some one please help me?

Out of the lenses I have listed below, Can you please tell me which is, or is closest to being a normal lens for a Nikon D90.

- Nikon 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6
- Tamron 28-200mm Macro 1.3:8-5.6
- Nikon 55-200mm 1:4-5.6
-Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3

Thank You

What is your definition of "normal"? When discussing a "normal" lens one typically thinks of a 50mm lens. Or on a DX camera, maybe the 35 1.8G. Any of those lenses you listed cover that range but I don't think any of them would be a "normal" lens.

Mfrankfort

That's like trying to describe a person as being "normal". Everyones definition of "normal" is different. If your taking landscapes, "normal" might be 8-24mm. If your shooting birds, or wildlife, "normal" might be 200-400. Portraits 50-300... so it depends on what your shooting, and where your shooting. You might need a 1.4 lens for inside/low light, or 22 lens for landscapes. I would go on a limb, and say "normal" would be anywhere from about 18-400. lol. What kind of pictures are you taking, and what kind of lighting are you working with? Little more detail might help us out here a little bit better.

Eye-level

Banned
There is fish eye which is like 6-15
Super wide 10-20
Wide 21-35
Normal 40-60
Short telephoto 85-105
Telephoto 105-200
​Super Telephoto 300 and up

IMHO a 35 on a DX camera does not make said 35 a normal lens...it is still a wide angle. Other folks think differently. That is OK with me diversity is a good thing.

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
A "normal" lens was originally defined as a lens that reproduces a similar field of view that an eye would naturally see. And at some point it was determined that a 50mm lens reproduced approximately what a human eye would "normally" see.

Eye-level

Banned
A "normal" lens was originally defined as a lens that reproduces a similar field of view that an eye would naturally see. And at some point it was determined that a 50mm lens reproduced approximately what a human eye would "normally" see.

​I have heard 42mm...

That is exactly correct. I am a little fuzzy on the DX concept of normal is though. Would it be the 35 +- or would it still be the 50mm? I may have to pull out my old 35mm Film camera and put the 50mm lens on it and compare.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

This is the way that I learned it, too.

If you were to position 2 people with a 50mm lens--one being 10 feet in front of the other so one person is closer to the camera--and were to take their photo by standing 10 feet in front of the closet person, the distance between them would appear to look the same as it does with the naked eye. If you were to take their photo with a 35mm lens, the photo would appear to have a greater distance between them than really existed. And if you were to take their photo with a telephoto lens (say 85mm), it would compress the distance between them making them appear to be standing closer together than they really are.

When you factor in a DX camera body, you don't change those perspectives. All the camera does it to seemingly take a photo like it would on an FX body and CROP the picture after-the-fact--like cropping off the outside edges of a photo if it was taken on an FX body.

Wide angle lenses push things away making them appear further from the camera than they really are while telephoto lenses make things appear closer together and closer to the camera than they really are. The perspective of normal lenses (whether DX or FX) look just as 'real' or identical to how things look with the naked eye.

If you want to see firsthand what I mean, go find 2 telephone poles and photograph them 3 ways by standing in the same place for all 3 pics--with a wide angle, normal, and telephoto lens. Be sure to photograph them by having one closer to the camera than the other. Notice how the actual phone lines look when comparing the photos, and you will see how the perspective changes. The same perspective will show up no matter whether you are using a DX or FX camera. ;)

Last edited:

Akiviri

Normally, lol, when people ask what a 'normal' lens is - they want to know in relation to Fx or 35mm Film - which is a 50mm lens on those. For the D90, or Dx - 35mm is closest. I suspect, since you listed all those zooms that isn't what you're asking - that or you want to know which one covers the 'normal' focal length. In which case you can figure out from the 35mm answer they would be #1, #2, and #4.

If you're asking which of your lenses would make the 'normal' walking around ''all around'' lens that depends entirely on what you shoot. I use either the 35mm, or the 18-105 and am very happy with both so far. I shoot nature and landscapes primarily. Although it's been nothing but rain and snow here since I got them :( sigh. For people or candid I guess any of them would work well, depending on your shooting style - but I rarely do people stuff unless it's a family thing.

Perhaps if you were a bit more specific as to what you mean we can be of more help to you.

KWJams

If you just want one lens, Nikon uses the 18-105 as the kit lens. I use the 18-55 and have never been unhappy.

I think that you gave the correct answer Bill.

My guess would be that Tana was asking is what is the normal "kit" lens that the D90 comes with.

jwstl

I think that you gave the correct answer Bill.

My guess would be that Tana was asking is what is the normal "kit" lens that the D90 comes with.

I don't think so. The list included 2 Tamron lenses and those would never come in a kit with a Nikon body. Only the OP can tell us what was meant by "normal".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bill4282

Depends. I've seen folks go into stores and ask "what's the best camera". Some salespeople push the one with the best profit margin and then tell the person "they need" certain lenses. Since the OP doesn't tell us level of experience and what was meant by "normal" all we can do is speculate.

Dave_W

The Dude
Depends. I've seen folks go into stores and ask "what's the best camera". Some salespeople push the one with the best profit margin and then tell the person "they need" certain lenses. Since the OP doesn't tell us level of experience and what was meant by "normal" all we can do is speculate.

Huh? :confused:

Bill4282

What I was trying to say is that the OP could be a tyro and not know about kit lenses or that Nikon bundles camera with lenses.