Upgrading Glass

HotHits

I'm a nightclub DJ and I'll use this equipment in a club (bad & low light). What I need is glass that's fast, wide & lowlight, what's your opinion on this lens AF-S Zoom-Nikon ED 17-55mm f/2.8G IF DX. Keep In mind I will be upgrading to the D7100.
Best
HOTHITS:cool:

crycocyon

That's a unique lens and should do the job very well as it is constant aperture and at f2.8 you could be shooting ISO 1600-6400 on your D7100 and get reasonably good images with shutter speeds that permit hand-held shots. The D7100 has great higher ISO performance so it should be a great match with that lens.

HotHits

If the 35mm f1.8DX is not wide enough, then check out the thread that I just posted. Nikon 20mm f2.8D will work great with D7100 but will not AF with your current D3200.

http://nikonites.com/prime/12567-nikon-20mm-f2-8-d-lens.html

Thanks, the 35mm f/1.8 is fast & good in low light but once the club fill up you have little room to move. The 18-55 kit lens is what I should use but it's slow & hard to focus in low light. This lens was recommended for club use Zoom-Nikon ED 17-55mm f/2.8G What's your opinion on this lens.
BEST
HOTHITS:cool:
17-55mm f/2.8 review http://www.bythom.com/1755lens.htm

Last edited:

jwstl

I considered the 17-55 and decided to get the Sigma 17-50 2.8 instead because it has OS (=VR). And I'm glad I did. It's a wonderful lens and is the main lens for my D7000.

HotHits

I considered the 17-55 and decided to get the Sigma 17-50 2.8 instead because it has OS (=VR). And I'm glad I did. It's a wonderful lens and is the main lens for my D7000.

Thanks, the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 is a great lens at half the price of the Nikon. I will do more research on this one.:cool:

jwstl

I bought the Sigma after reading Thom Hogan's review:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Positives[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sharp. Usable even into the corners at f/2.8, very sharp at f/5.6.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All the tech. HSM and OS mean this lens gives you more than Nikon does in this focal range, and...[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Priced to sell. This is a far better choice (assuming you get a good sample) than the Nikkor 17-55mm, which is why the Sigma is in my kit and the Nikkor isn't.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]​And my images confirm what he says.[/FONT]

I photograph disco first dance at weddings every week under disco lights and have no problem with Sigma 10-20mm F8 iso 100-6400 ...great shots or the 18-200 sigma I use for other wedding shots ...you dont need f1.8 that will only give you no depth of field ...D3200 and D7000 ...eveybody loves the shots and well exposed ....dont be frightened of the the high /auto iso

RockyNH_RIP

I photograph disco first dance at weddings every week under disco lights and have no problem with Sigma 10-20mm F8 iso 100-6400 ...great shots or the 18-200 sigma I use for other wedding shots ...you dont need f1.8 that will only give you no depth of field ...D3200 and D7000 ...eveybody loves the shots and well exposed ....dont be frightened of the the high /auto iso

Can you show us one of those shots???

Thanks,

Pat in NH

HotHits

Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 Negatives, Customers reviews states that this lens is as good or better than Nikon 17-55 but some are having problems with AF & build quality.
Jeff Hollis Review: Feels sturdy, but the internals are
cheap: I bought this lens to use with my 7D for video, and it was working great. Range
of the lens, and constant aperture, plus the stabilization are great!
Unfortunately, my lens got "bumped" during a shoot. It wasn't dropped, someone
bumped me with their camera, with some camera to camera contact. Their lens was
fine (canon 70-200), but this one felt like something came loose inside. It no
longer focused, and was very wobbly near the camera mount.

I'm one who
opens things up to see what's wrong, and I decided to do that in this case, as I
needed the lens the following day, and didn't really have an option to take it
back. Once I found the problem, it wasn't surprising why the lens was wobbly.
There are screw mounts all over the inside of the camera holding the components
together, in my opinion that should be metal, but instead they are flimsy
plastic. I epoxied the strut back on, very well, actually. Reinforced the sides
of it, reassembled the lens, and after a test it was no longer wobbly or odd
looking. The focus also began working again, but not properly. It just cycles
focusing in and out, seldomly finding a focal point. Fortunately, this doesn't
matter a TON for video, as I can't auto-focus with it anyway, but it's annoying
when I'm setting up a shot.

While the lens did perform well, it's not
made to take even a small to moderate bump.

jwstl

Grain of salt. Who knows how small that bump really was. It doesn't have the build quality of a 70-200 2.8 but it's much better than the build quality of the lower cost Nikons: 18-55 etc.. I've used mine on my D7000 everyday since I bought it a couple of months ago without incident. And like I said, it came highly recommended by a working pro who wouldn't use a cheaply built lens.