yikes small scratch

Thunderz2000

hello all

Getting more n more in tune with this d7000. I bought it SH with 14700 shutter actuations. It comes with a 6 month guarantee.
Whilst changing lenses I noted a small scratch on the mirror. No effect in the viewfinder or on images.
Went back to where i bought it and they said they can send it to there repair guy. Is it worth having it done as at this stage its merely cosmetic perhaps. What do ya think?

Is 14700 actautions heavy use?

regards

Lou

stmv

no issue if it does not bother you looking the viewfinder,,, I would not bother, and no, 14,700 is jsut broken in,, lots of life,, once you reach 50K,,, then at midlife. for that shutter mechanism. but,, these can go longer,, question is tolerance.

eurotrash

14k isn't that heavy. Figure 10k activations per YEAR for 10 years to get the advertised shutter actuation count that Nikon advertises...that's a LONG time to own a camera, and a TON of activations per year (I feel that I only use about 7-8k per year and I shoot a good amount)

That scratch however would make me worry.. Don't have any good information regarding that issue. One hand, I would say if it's not impacting things, don't fret. The other hand, it isn't perfect and you know that..hm..

BackdoorArts

Not heavy use in terms of pure numbers - about 15% of what the life expectancy of the shutter is. If you see the scratch on the mirror when you're looking through the viewfinder and it bothers you, get it fixed. If you don't, but knowing that it's there bothers you, wait for something else to break and get them fixed together so you don't pay for the labor twice.

Is the company paying for the repair? If yes then get it done.
If the company is NOT paying for the repair then it is up to you to figure out if it bothers you that much.

Dave_W

The Dude
Quick question - are you sure it's a scratch and not just a particle or some other foreign substance? Have you tried to wipe it with a Q-tip? And if indeed it is a scratch and you still have a warranty on it, why not send it in and have that mirror replaced? On the plus side it will trigger a sensor cleaning since anytime they work inside a camera body it always ends with a sensor cleaning (at least if Nikon or a Nikon authorized repair shop does the work).

Thunderz2000

Hey guys thanks for the replies.
You cannot see the scratch at all when looking through the viewfinder. It is a very small scratch. It wont go with a rocket blower.
The company i bought it from would send it to there "repair" guy at no charge to me as it has a full 6 months warranty.
It has no other effect to me rather than as has been said I know its there.
Knowing my luck ill get to 6 months 1 day and the bloomin mirror will fall out...LOL

regards again

Lou

nickt

I would resist any temptation to touch it with a q-tip. I have no real experience with mirrors, but years ago I ruined a focusing screen on my film camera by just brushing dust with a q-tip. I think the reflective film of the mirror is on the front face and unprotected. A q-tip is relatively course and might leave scuff marks with the slightest touch.

Hey guys thanks for the replies.
You cannot see the scratch at all when looking through the viewfinder. It is a very small scratch. It wont go with a rocket blower.
The company i bought it from would send it to there "repair" guy at no charge to me as it has a full 6 months warranty.
It has no other effect to me rather than as has been said I know its there.
Knowing my luck ill get to 6 months 1 day and the bloomin mirror will fall out...LOL

regards again

Lou

I would send it back and get it repaired now then.

Eye-level

Banned
Yes I have always been told that q-tips are out of the question as they can and will scratch. Don't know if it is true or not but I do not use them on glass.

I wouldn't care so much about the mirror but it makes you wonder how the heck it got that way.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I think I've read somewhere before that there is a line etched on the mirror of some DSLRs and, if I remember correctly, it's there for a reason that I unfortunately don't remember.

So, if it does not affect the image, why bother? I'd just as well leave it alone.

eli

No brainer: If you cannot figure out what it is, send it back under warranty, especially if it is for free. trying to correct it yourself - using q Q-tip or anything else that might worsen the scratch - may void the warranty. Then, if it does become an issue, you will have little recourse but to pay out of pocket. You just purchased it, why not have it corrected?