Aurora I finally captured it!

snaphappy

Finally I was able to capture them. I was completely unprepared but so excited that I did it!! It wasn't even a very good night tonight so I CAN'T wait til a good show!
NIK_0801_2.jpg

NIK_0802.jpg

NIK_0804.jpg

NIK_0805.jpg

NIK_0806.jpg

NIK_0807.jpg

NIK_0808.jpg

These last 2 were bits of a huge streak straight above me that went all the way from east to west I was using my 35 mm so these are only very small snippets of the streak
NIK_0813.jpg

NIK_0815.jpg

snaphappy

Thanx Whitelight I know it's unprofessional to show off pics as shot but I was just so excited to have finally captured them that even if they're not compositionally great I'm happy to have captured them for the first time :)

RockyNH_RIP

Snaphappy, great captures!! I have seen many shots and yours are good!! (The last 2 did not do anything for me)

That is something I have never seen.. couple years back I took a motorcycle trip up to James Bay Quebec (near Hudson Bay) and I had hoped that they would appear but alas, they did not.

Congrats!

Pat in NH

Patrick M

Some very nice shots there. I much pretty unadjusted shots. There's nothing wrong in post processing of course, it's a personal thing. If I publish, then yes, but to show what's shot is more impressive when like these, they're pretty good anyway.

BackdoorArts

Nothing unprofessional at all about being excited. So happy for you that you got them. Would love to be able to shoot that some day. A friend works for an airline and tries to get up a couple times a year on a 48 hour turnaround (Newark to Seattle, Seattle to Alaska, drive, shoot, drive, Alaska to Seattle, Seattle to Newark) and offered to bring me on a $200 companion fare if I'm willing to do it on 5 hour notice. Only got one call this year and I couldn't make it - and when he got to the airport he could get on the flight either. Fingers crossed and a bag packed for next year.

piperbarb

WOW! I am impressed. We've rarely been lucky enough to see the Aurora here and get photos no less. It's usually too cloudy at night. Don't apologize for not post-processing. When it comes to post-processing, I am a minimalist.

snaphappy

Thanx guys I have been waiting and waiting since I joined this site and got my new Nikon to try what I have learned on here. We have had a warm cloudy winter and even last week when there was a solar flare and we were supposed to been in for a good show I stood outside all set up for about 2hrs in -19 and the lights never even flickered Sigh. Last night I went out to do my evening chores and there they were dancing away! Of course I had my CPOL on my lens as I'd been taking pics on a bright sunny day (snow covered ground), I'd taken my tripod quick release off my camera and when I finally got everything outside and set up ready to go there was no SD card!!! then the lights took a break and I was so upset with myself but they moved over n teh sky and started up again for me :) Waiting for that first picture to show up on the screen after that loooong shutter was painful!

Until I moved up here 3yrs ago I'd never seen the lights and ever since seeing them I've wanted to capture them but never knew until joining this site why all my attempts failed so miserably. I'm so glad I was able to finally do it and look forward to a really nice show to try again. Waiting for that long exposure to finish is painful but so thrilling to see the capture flash up on my screen! I was more excited than my kids will be tomorrow searching for eggs in the snow LOL

RockyNH yeah the last 2 weren't great but there really was no lens that could have captured the huge streak of light that was above us. I found even my 35mm captured far too small an area of the lights so had to choose carefully where it look like the next set of lights were gearing up.

Anyone notice the ghost horse in the 2nd photo? Someone forgot to tell her she's not supposed to move :)

Backdoorhippie I hope you get the chance to see them it's pretty magical. Last summer we had the biggest brightest light show I've ever seen and wow I hope for another show like that to try to capture! The whole sky danced waves of pink and green like their should have been an orchestra playing and it was so huge we couldn't watch all of it at once because it was literally half the sky dancing all at once. I'd love to iceland or something to see the really big ones AMAZING!