Hey from Wisconsin

Akiviri

Hey all. Let me start by saying - I am shocked to not only be posting here, but to be switching to Nikon from Canon. When I bought my digital gear I was more impressed with how Canon looked, but as time has gone on I find myself shooting more and more for B&W, which Canon - for me - sucks at. I started going over flickr uploads pixel peeping (as well as pixel-peeper.com - both are recommended for inspiration as well as lens choices) and the first good B&W image I came across (from a D90) made me go THERE! YES!! Well imagine my surprise....

Long story short my Canon gear is on it's way to Adorama in trade for either a D90 or D7000 - I haven't decided yet. I'm pixel peeping between the two and have at least until Monday to decide - probably weds until they are caught up again lol. I just HATE how Nikon looks in color - almost too crisp at times. But in B&W - knocks my socks off I LOVE it.

Sooo...after all that - "HI" and I hope to be a productive part of the group here.

John

Akiviri

Hey TY :) I'm sure I will enjoy it. Flickr has some amazing shots for both of them. This is going to be a hard choice I think. As I don't do video and don't plan on using it - maybe rarely, but doubtful other than to see if it works lol - I'm leaning towards the savings with the D90, but the shots from the 7000 are really awesome. Both are fantastic, so I should keep looking I guess until I'm over the 'wow holy crap' thing - if that ever goes away :p lol.

Stangman98

I happen to like Nikon color...

545342_384301868268730_1410665489_n.jpg

But I do like B&W too...
262612_401445309887719_1643375461_n.jpg

Akiviri

LOL no offense meant stangman, those are nice pics - but that color pic leapt off the page and clawed at my eyes. It isn't necessarily the color - which is awesome - as it is I guess the color and the sharpness. Rich unending detail, Canon is so much more creamy and easy on the eyes - Nikon is like "YO! I'M HERE! WHADDAYAWANT?" Maybe it's just me *shrug*, and likely this wasn't the place to say I hate Nikon color pics lol. All I know is the minute I saw a B&W I knew where I was going :) Man - every pic I come across is wow, wow, wowow, wow, OMG I WANT!! lol I can't wait to get going. Gonna be hard without a camera here for a week.

For anyone that doesn't know about it, this is a lens comparison tool - Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR DX Nikkor Lens Image Quality very handy for finding great lenses and avoiding the not so great ones on a head to head basis - has just about all the lenses I've ever tried to look up including Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina.

Akiviri

Hello Eye-level - Yes! Go shoot some for me as well :p or at least come back and show us :) TY for the welcome all - even tho I did kinda badmouth Nikon-in-color lol. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

wud

Congrats - looking foreward to see some bw shot soon!

I've been looking at the same sites as you, there are some amazing pictures.
Oh and I do love colours, but no hard feelings ;)

Akiviri

TY :) Yes going shooting is #1 after charging the battery lol. Yes, there are some really amazing pics on those sites. I'm coming around to the color thing, but color in general is losing it's allure - perhaps that plays a part also, :p anyway, counting the days :D expedited isn't fast enough lol.

fotojack

By the way, John...you know you can change the color settings in your menu, right? There's Vivid, More Vivid, Normal, etc. Give it a shot, see what you come up with.

Akiviri

Yes it's here, and yes I Love it :) Problem is it's either been snowing/sleeting, or raining since the UPS guy dropped it off lol. So it's been junk shots around the house and waiting not-so-patiently for the weather to get better. Both lenses are awesome as far as I can tell, and I LOVE this camera. Everything important to me has a button, and the rest isn't so hard to get at to tinker with. Fotojack - I set the color on standard, seems to be easiest and plays well with silver efex pro2. I haven't messed with it much, but the odd sunset will probably end up vivid, maybe :p lol.

wud

Yes it's here, and yes I Love it :) Problem is it's either been snowing/sleeting, or raining since the UPS guy dropped it off lol. So it's been junk shots around the house and waiting not-so-patiently for the weather to get better. Both lenses are awesome as far as I can tell, and I LOVE this camera. Everything important to me has a button, and the rest isn't so hard to get at to tinker with. Fotojack - I set the color on standard, seems to be easiest and plays well with silver efex pro2. I haven't messed with it much, but the odd sunset will probably end up vivid, maybe :p lol.

Same here, grey on grey outside. Today we have a pretty mist going on and I am at work and not out photographing! Annoying.