Hello from the sunny South of France

charliek

Hi folks :)

I'm an expat Englishman living in the Pyrénées Orientales, which is in the bottom right-hand corner of France, a stones-throw from the Spanish border.

Some time back, I started fiddling with some of the features of my Panasonic DMC-TZ8 point-and-shoot, outside my 'muppet mode' comfort zone (by 'muppet mode', I mean the little green or red [A] icon that exists on most modern camera mode dials in which, I thought, Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong).

That's when I realised that photography can be quite fun, quite frustrating, and ... well I opened myself up to a whole new world of expense.

For my birthday last year, I got a Nikon DX5100 with a kit lens (18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6) - and have gone quite lunatic with it, shooting everything from hoar-frost on leaves to deliciously mediocre panoramas of the stunning countryside hereabouts. I even spent a chilly night out in a field with a tripod, giggling to myself and taking long-exposure shots, in freezing pitch darkness, of the star field behind the mountains.

For christmas I was given an AF/S Nikkor 35mm 1:1.8G, and have delighted myself (and almost nobody else) taking wide-aperture shots smugly flash-free in low light, with artistically blurry backgrounds. Sometimes, there were crisply focussed noses, and artistically blurry eyes.

Anyway, that's me. For the time being, I'm browsing... later, when I have more confidence, I'll be starting on my list of TWELVETY-MILLION questions.

Actually, I might go and look to see if you have a suitable forum for answering a tangential question I have about monitoring live video with a green screen...

Cheers

Charlie

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Welcome to Nikonites Charlie. Feel free to browse into our archives where you can find answers to many many questions that have been asked by people just like you.

Enjoy your Nikon!

Roy1961

Contributor
welcome to the forum charlie, its a great place, enjoy your camera, i am starting to have fun with mine