D3100 Manual Focus Help

amb84

This is quite likely to be an uber newbie question.... buuuut:

Bascially I don't know if my focus ring is faulty or I am not doing something right. I set my camera to manual, i switch the switch on the side of the lens from A to M, but the focus ring wont turn left or right. Am I doing something wrong?

Cheers in advance

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
This is quite likely to be an uber newbie question.... buuuut:

Bascially I don't know if my focus ring is faulty or I am not doing something right. I set my camera to manual, i switch the switch on the side of the lens from A to M, but the focus ring wont turn left or right. Am I doing something wrong?

Cheers in advance

What camera and lens do you have. There are quite a few models out there and some could have different features.

Which lens are you using? For now I am going to assume it is the kit lens 18-55 zoom

There is a switch on the left side of the lens. Make sure it is on M
Now the focus in on the very end of the lens next to the lens cap. Just look through the view finder and wyou will see the focus change.

amb84

Yeah I have the 18-55 VR kit lens with my d3100. Yeah its deffo set to M, no movement with the focus ring though still :eek:/

let's make sure you are trying to turn the correct ring. If this is not it then it would seem you have a problem with your lens,.

1855.jpg
Red arrow points to the focus ring. That entire ring will turn and move in and out.

WhiteLight

Yeah as Don said.. i had this uber newbie psyche out too when i first got a camera.
Especially on the 18-55, you have to turn the outside of the lens as shown in the pic.
And, it will not turn if you in A position.

amb84

Yep, I know thats the focus ring. Ain't turning. Gutted. I'm in contact with the supplier as I only received it two days ago, let's see if they do the right thing. Cheers for your help though guys