D7000 for shooting Gymnastics

Dean Vose

Hi, I'm new here and new to the Nikon D7000
I have a lot to learn in a short time.
I bought camera to shoot my daughter in the states gymnastics meet this Saturday, can someone help me as to what to set the U1 setting to for indoor shooting with no flash, it would be much appreciated.
Thank you

Dave_W

The Dude
First off, welcome to the board! As for setting your U1 and U2, there's no "one-size-fits-all" settings that we can give you. For shooting indoors w/o a flash, you don't need to use U1, you can simply use anything other than auto-mode and the flash will not be fired. U1 and U2 are really meant to house specific settings that you find yourself using often and instead of spending time adjusting them back and forth, you can simply dial to Ux and they'll all be ready to go.

But given that you're new to your camera, I would spend a good deal of time shooting things indoors that would simulate your daughters gymnastics meet so that when Sat rolls around you'll have ironed out all the issues that will surely crop up. Try starting with "P" mode inside your house with approximately the same-ish light that you would expect the gym will have and take photos of your daughter and see what they look like. Do this experiment tonight and then tomorrow we'll be here to answer your questions about shutter speed (ie - camera shake and minimum shutter speeds needed for your type of lens to produce sharp indoor photos), ISO requirements for given shutter speeds and white balance. And if we get far enough tomorrow we may even talk about noise reduction.

DSLR camera's are wonderful inventions but unlike point-n-shoots, they're designed so that the photographer can adjust and meddle with all aspects of the photograph. In a way we're all a bunch of control freaks and these cameras suit our needs rather well. On the other hand, if you're just starting out you may find the vast amount of optional changes you can make on a dSLR a little daunting. But with a little effort and a lot of quick learning you'll be ready by Sat.

Mfrankfort

Try creative auto, and see that settings that the camera uses. I think you can use that without the flash? I'd say you'd want shutter priority most likely, since you won't want blurry pictures. I'd leave ISO Auto, and the camera will select the right aperture. Try those out before you get to the actual meet in similar low light, and go from there!

LouCioccio

Oh I know I had picked up for my Olympus a 70-300 a couple of years ago and ended up the following year getting the 50-200 F/2.8/3.5 lens for just under 1200$US. Yes fast glass is expensive but you check out this site especially if you are thinking of buying but you are not sure if it work for you.
LensRentals.com - Rent Lenses and Cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Leica, and more
Sometimes that may be a better alternative then if you find that its a gotta have then you can start saving.
I know some of the lenses I picked up are either refurbished or EX at either Cameta or KEH as both stand behind their product.

Lou Cioccio

Dean Vose

Thanks for the help,
one more question, when using the camera in auto mode, do i still need to pick if it shoots in Raw or JPEG?
I think I want Jpeg, right?

aced19

I don't know what type of lens you have or will be shooting with. But I would suggest you to set your camera like this.
Manual Mode
Shutter speed at 500 min to preferred 640-800.
Aperture as wide open as you can go. Ex. 2.8, 3.5, 4 etc...
auto white balance
auto iso top end at H1. If you have an 2.8 lens then stop iso high end at 6400.
This way you can stop action, control depth of field and have the camera determine the right iso for light.

Epoc

^^ exactly!! I shoot my son playing indoor volleyball. Big hall, crap light just like Gymnastics. I use auto ISO to 6400, shoot wide open at 2.8, shutter speed 800-1000 as I want the ball stopped and sharp. With Gym, it's not so fast paced, so you could lower your shutter speed a bit if you don't have a fast lens.