Macro Lenses

Nflash

What would be a good macro lens for the D3100? THis could be Nikkor, Sigma,etc.

Also what would be a good one with zoom capbilities? I was thinking maybe the 18-200mm?

gqtuazon

Gear Head
What is your budget? manual or auto focus?

I agree with Vin. Probably the most important part to include when asking for suggestions is your budget.

You can always start from Nikon 40mm f2.8 DX, 60mm f2.8G 85mm f3.5G DX and 105mm f2.8 VR if you want to stick with Nikon.

Digital Camera & DSLR Lenses | All NIKKOR Lenses for Digital SLR Cameras| Nikon

If you want to use them as portrait lens and would like to use auto focus, make sure you get the "G" lens or lenses that has AF-S designation.

D lenses will not auto focus with your camera but they will work using manual focus.

stmv

if you have the money,, 105 G micro. Nikkor of course

and your 18x200 is a great choice, buy now why they are on sale.

Nflash

Starting out I would like auto-focus while I am learning to use the camera. I will look into these that were mentioned.
Thanks you

WhiteLight

FX or DX the 105 2.8 is THE best macro lens out there.
If budget permits, you can pick it up with your eyes closed.
Ah yeah, it's a gold ring lens :)

Nflash

FX or DX the 105 2.8 is THE best macro lens out there.
If budget permits, you can pick it up with your eyes closed.
Ah yeah, it's a gold ring lens :)

I did some looking around and comparing and I do want to get this lens. Looks like it is time to save money. I have the money right now, but that money is going towards a new desktop. So many things I want to buy. Next after the lens is a flash.

WhiteLight

I did some looking around and comparing and I do want to get this lens. Looks like it is time to save money. I have the money right now, but that money is going towards a new desktop. So many things I want to buy. Next after the lens is a flash.

I think you and i are walking the same path :)
i just got a new iMac, next is the 105mm and next flash/es :D