noobie question about moving images

marmo

i purchased a D3100 about a month ago and having fun exploring all its options as im new to photography, i wanted to post this question about moving images, as i tend to have the camera in aperture mode would i have the Focus mode in AF-C and/or the AF area mode in Dynamic? any thoughts or tips would be helpful

many thanks

BackdoorArts

Not sure what you mean by "moving images". Are you talking about capturing a moving subject, or creating time lapse movies? Or just shooting movies in general?

BackdoorArts

With birds I usually go with Shutter Priority and AF-C when they're moving in order to make sure that I get a crisp image (1/640s and faster with proper ISO), and Aperture Priority and AF-S when they're not doing much of anything, again making sure that my shutter speed is adequate for the lens by adjusting the ISO.

Pierro

If its birds you want, it depends on their action. If they're just lazily paddling along on the water, you can easily use single focus, and probably the centre focus point and spot metering.

Aperture priority is fine for slow birds on bright days, as you're going to get decent shutter speeds, but on dull days, you may need to use S , shutter priority. Especially dull days AND birds in flight

Also , If you want birds in flight, AF-C continuous focus would be better. I never use the dynamic option, because I dont shoot .JPG, only RAW

Pierro

No, I'm not saying that... as far as I know, ADL only affects .JPG, and RAW shooting captures more DR anyways, so there's no need to set ADL on. If RAW were affected by the ADL , then if I were using Capture NX, it would be tweakable, but ACR that I use doesnt recognise ADL

Rexer John

Who mentioned ADL, LOL.

I think when "dynamic" was mentioned it was the focusing area.
ADL is Active D Lighting, is the D for dynamic?

Seems we were talking about different things. And yes ADL won't affect RAW.