Calumet Genesis SP692n GN 50 does wireless and Commander/Slave Mode

LouCioccio

Recently I upgraded to D7000 from an Olympus E1 and was able to use the Olympus FL50 flash in auto and manual mode. I do have 5 FL50's (3 -r wireless similar to Nikons CLS and 2- non wireless FL50's but have also optical slave modes). Yes I do use them in the strobist way with Aputure triggers. I usually buy manufacture refurbished to save some money but Cameta had sold out of the SB700 and SB910's refurbs.
I had gotten a Power Block (Calumet) for my FL50 and used a Quantum cable CO5 and it worked but later found out that Quantum quit making the Olympus cable.
So I decided to get a Nikon flash and did look at the Nissin and Metz (previously had Metz 402's during my Film wedding photography days) so was familiar with their quality. Well got an email ad from Calumet about the Genesis SP692n and decided to buy it; received it yesterday. Not sure if anyone has seen it? Took awhile to figure out the Nikon Commander mode but once I looked at it it was quite simple. Setting up the Genesis with a keeping the button down for a few seconds not as simple as the FL50r flash but I got there.
First impressions build quality is on par with the Olympus Flash (which I would assume is like Nikon) it also had pc connector and a 3 pin connector for the Canon 8-AA power pack.
I did Google and found some Chinese knock offs that were 1/3 the cost. Will have to read the reviews but for 40$ I may just buy one.
The one feature it did not have that I was always impressed with the Nikon's flash is the positive latch as it had the knurled ring which should only be snugged down not torque!
The flash did come with a stand, built in diffuser for WA and and white flipper plus a diffuser cap and a case. Down side compared to the Olympus you cannot mount the diffuser and put it all in the case as you could do with the FL50's as it becomes another thing that can get lost or take up space in my bag.
Later during the week when my model (2 1/2 year old shows up) I can put it through her paces (the flash that is)!

ciao,
Lou Cioccio

LouCioccio

A little update on this particular flash it does not have FP (focal plane) sync but will sync at 1/320 sec which is not too shabby. I did have a model but she refused to sign a release so I can't post it (wife) but I was able to get a reading with my meter at 1/320 @ F/1.8 although a direct flash TTL (not flattering) worked fine. I did increase to 1/400 and no sync so no joy.
Now why I bring this up you still photography outside with the flash but you could be creative by slapping on a neutral density filter so that lens can be wide open if shooting a portrait unto 1/320 a sec.

The build quality is very good. The mail is supposed to be delivering the an external battery pack same as Canon 8-AA that plugs into the side of the Genesis Flash which is the same as the Voeloon V600. Evidently rebranded for Calumet Photo.

The wireless triggers may not sync at that high I have not tried that yet but will update so YMMV.

Lou Cioccio

LouCioccio

Just received the external flash battery pack that will work on the above flash. Quality does look good as I read the reviews from Amazon that were sold from different vendors and the prices ranged from 35 to 70$US. The reviews were the ones to read to give you an idea of pros and cons. This one is for the Canon but can also be used on the above flash; the Canon users commented that these were pretty much the same as Canon.
The directions do tell you that you need batteries (4) in the speed light and (8) in the power pack as it does come with a case that can attach to belt. You can screw the power pack alone to the underside the camera or grip but the belt would be more feasible. It does not have an on - off switch but does have a red LED that comes on when you turn on the flash that would make me think if there is a load (flash being in on) it would sense and turn on the power pack.

The power cable does look sturdy and not chintzy.

I will be testing this at an event and will report an update. The vendor for those that are interested from Amazon Digital Goja . I ordered it on 4 March and received it today USPS on 7 March not bad for free shipping.

If using D7000 in Commander mode(on board flash) you can adjust the flash in TTL (not sure if that one really works) , M does work and can adjust power up or down. You can also turn it off. I am not familiar with AA mode as my camera is in manual mode 99% of the time. From some of the online reviews about the above Flash but the Oolong model that it did not work; well the Calumet one seems to work. No HSS but it does sync at 1/320 may not be a big problem if one uses a hand held meter i.e. Sekonic that can measure ambient / flash % which I shoot. You can set the flash on the hot shoe and select it for Commander mode but since I only have one that is moot for now.

Lou Cioccio

Last edited:

LouCioccio

Update on SP692n Flash from Calumet

Although I do not own a Nikon Flash I used my Olympus FL50 flash as comparison

Light meter at 10 foot distance set at ISO 100
Power Olympus FL50 SP692n
1/1 F/8 F/8
½ F/5.6 F/5.6
¼ F/4.0 F/4.0
1/8 F/2.8 F/2.8
1/16 F/2.0 F/2.0
1/32 F/1.4 F/1.4
1/64 F/1.1 F/1.0
1/128 ---- -----
A Sekonic L358 meter was used.

The 692n does show communication with D7000 plus an icon for rear curtain flash but no icons for slow or red eye.
In Manual mode Camera and Flash in Auto TTL when adjusting metering matrix it does not show BL mode at all at slow shutter. If I go to A,S,P and toggle the flash while in Matrix metering I can see flash, red eye flash,slow and rear. The flash does strobe for red eye.

I am sure other may chime in on what a Nikon Flash does but for something less expensive and at least a year warranty its not bad comparing with my Olympus branded flash. One thing that may be confusing to Nikon users is that the adjustment wheel is NOT a wheel but similar to function wheel on the D7000; from my understanding the Nikon Flash has a wheel.

So its not full clone of the Nikon flash as it does not have High Speed Sync flash but will sync at 1/320 which is not too shabby.
So here is an alternative for those that are on a budget.

Ciao,
Lou Cioccio
PS My model (2 1/2 yrs old) has been sick for most the week so maybe next week we will do some rear/slow and bounce flash with her.

LouCioccio

After I got the understanding of how slow works on the Nikon with this particular flash here are two examples one is in Aperture Priority with rear and slow with matrix metering and the other is usually how I do it on my Olympus E30 although it is in manual exposure spot metering with just rear shutter. Both are bounced and the little card.
She still has a cold and cannot quite figure out how to clear her nose. EXIF should be intact and lens used was the 50mm 1.8d. So this flash may be a cost alternative.

Lou Cioccio

_DSC0308rear_slow.jpg

DSC_0326rear.jpg

LouCioccio

2.4Ghz Aputure Triggers II will only flash sync 1/250 at 1/320 you get the curtain line at the bottom. I am not sure of the newest ones if they sync higher.
Addendum: digging deeper it does not have optical slave I think the SB series have that (S1 & S2 ) as well as all my Olympus FL50's.

Lou Cioccio

Last edited: