The walls can't speak but photos do

Moab Man

I love Back Door Hippies pictures of ruins from a time long ago. Here is a link to some pictures from a Detroit high school blending old with present. Although the walls can't speak these pictures sure give a ghostly story telling of a better day long ago.

The one picture in the gymnasium shows a couch on the upper level. The shooter of these pictures said it is still there. He had also stated that he didn't exactly have permission to be there. However, I'm glad he was to give us this glimpse back in time to a once great city.

Photos Of Abandoned Detroit High School - Business Insider

STM

Re: The walls can't speak but photos due

Ok, I am in a smart ass mood tonight, but if this is Detroit, it is probably a good thing the walls in that HS can't speak or they would be saying things like "place the ____________ (weapon of choice) on the floor in front of you and take two steps back, placing your hands on your head" :D

Moab Man

LOL! Ok, point well taken. I'm talking about Detroit's hay day of being a manufacturing juggernaut. NOT its hay day string of Murder Capital of the World.

STM

very sad, but a neat photo work.

Agree. Detroit is a city in a death spiral; a perfect example of runaway urban decay. I could go off for an hour solid on the nanny state politics and unions which have strangled it for years but I will leave politics out of the discussion.

Moab Man

I loved Detroit and my whole family and virtually all our family friends worked for the big three. Between the nanny state, taxation, and unions the cow was over-milked and has died. On the upside, most of my friends and family could read the writing on the barn stall and got out before the cow was dead. Between its location, resources, and at one time its infrastructure there is no reason it should still be a manufacturing giant.

Now it looks like an end of the world movie set.

snaphappy

Wow that was great! Amazing work that blends so well and tells a story better than words could

BackdoorArts

It's hard for me not to stand in places like that and think of the souls who occupied those spaces in normal times.

Detroit is the epicenter of abandoned cities in this country. I have a photographer friend who now lives in VT that is originally from the area and it's so sad to see some of the stuff she captures. Treading lightly, there's a guy who goes by TonyDetroit who is an mobile phone street artist and posts photos to Instagram under that moniker. Sadly beautiful stuff.

RockyNH_RIP

I love Back Door Hippies pictures of ruins from a time long ago. Here is a link to some pictures from a Detroit high school blending old with present. Although the walls can't speak these pictures sure give a ghostly story telling of a better day long ago.

The one picture in the gymnasium shows a couch on the upper level. The shooter of these pictures said it is still there. He had also stated that he didn't exactly have permission to be there. However, I'm glad he was to give us this glimpse back in time to a once great city.

I grew up in Detroit when Cass Tech was big!! I lived there until I was 40 plus... Sad to see what it is now...

Pat in NH

carguy

Great link. While I've seen quite a few images from abandon photo shoots in this area, I have not seen that perspective before. Interesting photos.

While there are places like this to walk through in Detroit, this isn't the only location in the country with urban decay. While it is on a large scale, there are very nice areas in Detroit and those areas are growing in size every year :)