Anyone wanting a larger original D600 instruction manual?

Bob Tuttle

I do not have enough postings to be able to use the classifieds. Book never opened, still in shrink wrap 9X11 size.
I had it printed from the PDF file as I did not get the manual when I bought my D600. Shortly after, I obtained an original manual so I do not need 2. Or, I would sell the smaller original for the same terms. Your choice.
Would take $21 shipped conus.

STM

My jaw almost broke my big toe when it hit the floor the first time I looked at the owner's manual of my D700. The last camera I got new was an F4S over 20 years ago and the owner's manual was maybe 75 pages long. The one for my F2 was maybe 30 pages long and it was mostly pictures. To say it was culture shock was an understatment of epic proportions. I started reading through it and said to hell with this and just learned as I went. Since I use it pretty much as little more than a digital F2, there really is not a whole lot I need to know about it. It may sound strange, but I honestly don't know what three fourth of the buttons do, and that goes double for most of the menu items. I guess this old film dog is just too old and stubborn to learn new tricks! :D

Last edited:

piperbarb

HaHa! I know exactly how you feel. When I went from film (F4) to digital (D3000) a little over 3 years ago, I thought, okay I'm a techie person so that's not too bad. The D3000 manual was only about 57 pages. Then I got my D7000 a few weeks ago and just about choked when I was the manual was way over 330 pages! I played around with the camera for a few days, and found the manual was not the most useful document in the world. I ended up getting David Busch's Nikon D7000 book. That has been a lot more useful than the ridiculous manual.

You are not alone, but getting the D3000 and playing with it for 3 years was a good stepping stone to the D7000. I think I would have been a little overwhelmed at first if I had gone from the F4 to the D7000 directly.

STM

HaHa! I know exactly how you feel. When I went from film (F4) to digital (D3000) a little over 3 years ago, I thought, okay I'm a techie person so that's not too bad. The D3000 manual was only about 57 pages. Then I got my D7000 a few weeks ago and just about choked when I was the manual was way over 330 pages! I played around with the camera for a few days, and found the manual was not the most useful document in the world. I ended up getting David Busch's Nikon D7000 book. That has been a lot more useful than the ridiculous manual.

You are not alone, but getting the D3000 and playing with it for 3 years was a good stepping stone to the D7000. I think I would have been a little overwhelmed at first if I had gone from the F4 to the D7000 directly.

I took one look at that inch and a half "phone book" and said "oh hell no!". All my Nikkors are AI or AIS and the flashes I use are venerable old Sunpak 544's. Of course, I think I am one of only 8 people left in the US who uses their cell phone primarily to actually make phone calls too. I thought I was going all high tech when I had to get a Blackberry Torch when my Motorola RAZR finally gave up the ghost and 95% of it I don't know how to use either. Most of the time that damn thing with its touch screen turns something off while in my pocket and I spend 15 minutes trying to figure out how to get cell reception again. I use the phone, send a few texts to my kids and sometimes use the calculator function. If I am bored I may open the Word Mole game. Apart from that, what the hell else to I need? APPS? WTH do I need any of those for? The only conceivable APP I might find useful is a ballistic calculator for when I go hunting and I have laminated cards I made for that. My daughters are in their mid to late 20's and tell me "Oh Dad you are so old school" to which I reply, "and don't you ever forget it either!" And the strange thing is I am only 55!

Last edited:

piperbarb

Don't feel bad. My spousal unit is one of those 8 people who uses his cell phone to make phone calls. He does not even know how to text, nor does he care to. Apps for his phone? He has a dumb, flip phone and loves it. It's smaller than my galaxy II. What does that say? :)

When I went digital, I got the D3000 because it was simple, didn't do video, and all my lenses would work. I don't use auto focus all the time so I did not care that my AF lenses purchased back when I had the F4 worked only on manual. Never missed live view on that camera and don't use it on the D7000 except when I take the occasional "cat doing something stupid" video. Oh, and I still have not figured out the histogram.

The funny thing is that I am not a luddite. I was a programmer & systems administrator for 23 years before I went back to school to become a high school science teacher (what was I thinking??? :) ). I love technology but I think some stuff is just overkill.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Hi Bob - No need to post in the Classifieds, but can you post a picture with your username visible on a piece of paper? I will move this to the for sale section when you do that.