nikon 50mm af-s 1.8g lens

al84

will i notice the diffrence with this lens to say to my 18-55 mm lens in portrait work? heard good things about it on web?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Yes you will. Specially when there will be less light, second for the beauty of the out of focus backgrounds of the portraits (Bokeh).

BackdoorArts

Absolutely. It's a brilliantly sharp lens, so even at similar apertures and focal length you'll notice a difference (i.e. set your zoom to 50mm f5.6 and compare to the 50mm at f5.6). Then you have the added bonus of narrowing your depth of field for portraits, which comes with the added bonus of actually producing a nicer bokeh as well - at least IMHO.

carguy

I concur. I picked up the 50mm 1.8G in January. Very nice lens, especially what has been stated about the depth of field. Much different than my 18-55mm kit lens.

birdhouse1.jpg

1/4000
f1.8
ISO 800
50mm

Last edited:

§am

It's one of my favourite lenses, and I'm now looking to expand on the f/1.8 series because I love my 50mm so much.
There are limitations like maybe having to step back a bit more to get wider, which isn't always possible if you're in a small house, but you soon learn about those :)

al84

i got mine more for gigs.been asked to take pics of bands of the crowd.it turns up 2moro! cant wait.so will be going at soon as to test it out!

lee786

I am unsure what one to get lol

The 35mm F1.8 or the 50mm

I hear the 35 suffers with CA below F2.8 in some shots....but the 50mm is like a telephoto on a crop sensor

I really am confused to be honest lol

Cowboybillybob1

I concur. I picked up the 50mm 1.8G in January. Very nice lens, especially what has been stated about the depth of field. Much different than my 18-55mm kit lens.

birdhouse1.jpg

1/4000
f1.8
ISO 800
50mm

I do not mean to hijack this thread but I like your Red Birdhouse photo and noticed you were using a higher ISO than I would pick. I can see that your shutter speed is almost maxed out at 1/4000.

Do you own any ND filters? Preferably a variable one. This will cut down on the amount of light entering your camera and not only be able to use slower shutter speeds buts lower ISO as well. The lower the ISO the less noise.

Still a great photo. Am I missing something as I am a bit of a beginner here.

To the Original Poster, I also was not sure which one to get so I bought both. They were cheap enough to do that.

Last edited:

mobi

I am unsure what one to get lol

The 35mm F1.8 or the 50mm

You are correct. For D3100, 35 is effectively 52 mm and 50 mm is effectively 75 mm.

If you predominantly shoot portraits then go for 50 mm lens. For general photography, 35 mm is better (for APS-C sensor cameras).

RockyNH_RIP

I do not mean to hijack this thread but I like your Red Birdhouse photo and noticed you were using a higher ISO than I would pick. I can see that your shutter speed is almost maxed out at 1/4000.

Do you own any ND filters? Preferably a variable one. This will cut down on the amount of light entering your camera and not only be able to use slower shutter speeds buts lower ISO as well. The lower the ISO the less noise.

To the Original Poster, I also was not sure which one to get so I bought both. They were cheap enough to do that.

Paul, also a beginner here... But to my way of thinking (and the poster can jump in) he had the ISO set at 800, shot aperture at 1.8 and the resultant shutter was 1/4000 (which is not needed but worked)

He does not need a ND filter for this... what he needed was to set the ISO down to 100 or so.. with the same aperture his shutter speed would be considerably less. To my way of thinking, he did NOT need 800 and if like me, never thought to change it back to 100 or 200.

The ND would be usefull is he was maxed at 1/4000 with ISO at 100.. no way to reduce light and keep his aperture..

Pat in NH

RockyNH_RIP

Lee,
I went through the same process.. Some said 35, some said 50.. I really wanted a prime for portraits and that spoke to me for a 50... yet I was concerned about getting far enough back.. and for that a 35 would be better..

I ended up buying both and I have used both with good success... I have not experienced any issues with either lens (other than some flair at sunsets with the 50)

For more general use, I might consider the 35 but for my detail work (industrial) and portraits, the 50 would win out.. I do NOT regret getting both.. in my shoots last weekend, I used both and achieved my desired results.

Pat in NH

lee786

Lee,
I went through the same process.. Some said 35, some said 50.. I really wanted a prime for portraits and that spoke to me for a 50... yet I was concerned about getting far enough back.. and for that a 35 would be better..

I ended up buying both and I have used both with good success... I have not experienced any issues with either lens (other than some flair at sunsets with the 50)

For more general use, I might consider the 35 but for my detail work (industrial) and portraits, the 50 would win out.. I do NOT regret getting both.. in my shoots last weekend, I used both and achieved my desired results.

Pat in NH

I think I will get the 35 and the 50 at a later date :)

Thanks

carguy

Paul, also a beginner here... But to my way of thinking (and the poster can jump in) he had the ISO set at 800, shot aperture at 1.8 and the resultant shutter was 1/4000 (which is not needed but worked)

He does not need a ND filter for this... what he needed was to set the ISO down to 100 or so.. with the same aperture his shutter speed would be considerably less. To my way of thinking, he did NOT need 800 and if like me, never thought to change it back to 100 or 200.

The ND would be usefull is he was maxed at 1/4000 with ISO at 100.. no way to reduce light and keep his aperture..

Pat in NH

Hello guys. I appreciate the feedback.
To be honest, I'm only recently moving off Auto and only had the 50mm a week or so when I took that shot and was playing with my new toy in the yard :) I used aperture priority and bumped the shutter speed until I thought the image looked the best.

I do appreciate the info and will use it as I move forward. Thanks! :cool:

al84

just got me 50mm today i only took a few shots mucking around and i can see the quality of it already! am so glad i bought it and dont feel let down at all! cant wait to get some shots at a gig! gonna be messing around with it alot tonight !!!