Photographic apprehension

Lord Nikon

Since I'm fairly new to photography, especially with a camera that kind of stands out more than a point and shoot, I often feel apprehensive about taking my camera out of my bag to start shooting.

its not so much that it might get stolen, although that is a concern, it's more.. Confrontation from someone who may be on the photo, say in a public street shot.

has anyone ever been stopped and confronted whilst taking a photo?

Regards

Lord Nikon.

Edit: oops I have just realised this could be in a better spot,
if a passing mod could move it to a more desired location that would be great ;)

Last edited:

Mike150

Hi Lord.
Don't be afraid of theft. It will most likely not be a problem as long as you take a few simple precautions. Keep your camera bag with you. Don't set it on a bench and walk a short distance away to take a shot.
As far as street shots go, it is a Public Street. You would be within your rights. The worst case I could forsee is that if confronted by someone, you can always offer to delete the photo from the camera in front of them.

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
On my morning bike ride I pass a tiny lake. I stop most mornings if there are ducks in the pond. One morning a man with a dog stopped. He told me in a loud voice I should have asked if I could take his photo or the dogs. I informed him I had not taken any photos of them, but since he mentioned it, would it be all right to take a picture of the dog. He said only the dog. If unsure, ask.

stmv

yup,, always an issue,, common sense, ask when it you can, if you take a candid, where asking will destroy the shot,, take the shot, approach the person,, say that you are a photographer,, and say you got a great photographer, and would they like a copy, I will email the shot to them within 12 hours. People are vain,, so, most are thrilled.

If it is street people, a bit more tricky, and if the are passed out,, well, no, you don't disturb, could be dangerous, your choice on the picture, if seem ok,, I will give them a tip,, since many are panhandling anyway.

Some street people are very curious,, and like to talk, which I enjoy.

If the person has psycholology issues,, then be careful, some are paranoid that you are taking a photo to turn them in for something,, and can be dangerous.

and then there the enforcers,,

I have had people (always grumpy men), who will pull over,, Not even their property), and harrass on needing to take a barn picture from the street. I call those the enforcers of misguided people. Totally in the right to take a ban picture from the street, but some people take privacy to the extremes, If the person gets unreasonable, just agree, nod,, and leave.. Confrontation is never worth it.

I often drop off nice prints to property owners.. Nothing makes them happier, and often that will open up the whole property to your lens.

Photography can be a very social event, and if done right, will open the world to you.

Eye-level

Banned
The people you have to worry about are the ones like my wife...if I try to take a picture of her she becomes hostile and aggressive towards me and my camera...she'll swat that sucker right out of my hands if I let her.

Sean Penn is the same way except he'll smack you in the face... :)

crycocyon

I can relate to the apprehension especially when I first started shooting in public. Taking the camera out of the bag is like drawing a sword. Once you do, you better be prepared to take action. Don't just walk around like a tourist, wandering and looking aimlessly for subjects. Be professional in how you move around, take a vantage point, and in how you dress and carry your equipment. You can be discrete and low-key by moving slowly. If you think your subject is wary of the camera, have the camera out and shoot something else to show that you are just on a photo shoot. Then as they can watch you, they'll get more comfortable. Also, just smile if they look at you and ask nicely, do you mind if I take your photo, it is for an assignment. Also, carry a card you can give them so they feel comfortable about knowing who took their photos and tell them they can contact you if they would like a copy. Consider also carrying model release forms. Treat it like a professional assignment. You are there to capture the moment, not worry about what other people are thinking. Everything else in your mind should fade to the background and what is up front is what is in that viewfinder and that is all. As far as theft goes, that is what home owners insurance is for.

Last edited:

KWJams

Stealth is the operative method -- be real sneaky and don't get caught taking the shot unless you think that you can out run them. :)

Horoscope Fish

If theft is a concern use a Black Rapid Sling which will keep your camera attached to your body, even when you're taking shots. It will also keep your camera on the down-low and out of sight while leaving your hand's free. They're overpriced, but I swear I'd give up a piece of prime glass before I'd let go of my camera sling!

As for people being confrontational on the street, my philosophy is: Get the Shot, Then Approach. Most importantly, GET THE SHOT. Then approach the person with a smile and say thank you. Then explain why they made for an AWESOME picture (fudge a little if needed, the idea is to flatter them). 99% of the time this totally defuses the situation. There will be exceptions but you just have to learn to be cordial and ready to delete a shot if asked. I've never had anyone go totally apes--t on me for taking their picture. A little paranoid, maybe, but never out and out hostile.

I try not to use Stealth Mode unless I really, really need to... If you look like you're being furtive people will get suspicious and that invites trouble. Sure, I'll snap some candid shots from time to time without anyone knowing anything, but it's not my preferred method of operation. Still, you have to go with what works for you in your particular shooting situation.

Last edited:
Lots of good advice here. I like to shoot out in the woods where there is not a lot of people around and I do sometimes worry about theft or worse. In those conditions I also have something else to shoot with. Mostly my 9mm. We are an open carry state so just the sight of a big black 9mm on my side will make most people say "hello, how are you today" and keep walking. Most people though are out for the same reason you are though and will more than likely just want to discuss equipment and share good shooting spots.

Last edited:

KWJams

I was mainly joking about the sneaky and stealth method mainly because street shots are primarily spontaneous --- not staged or posed.

There is one city block in downtown Sturgis where I will not even have my camera turned on due to all the 1% patch holders that really do not like their pictures taken.

theregsy

I like/use one of these it allows me to carry 2 DSLR's in great comfort and as I wear a greatcoat they sit under the coat around hip height, great for festivals and street photography as they are out of sight. I don't really get nervous shooting in public being well over 6ft helps but most people will wander over and have a natter about what you are up to, I usually point them to my website or facebook pages so they get to see/tag what I have taken. Never had any trouble.

STM

If you photograph someone in public, where they do not have an expectation of privacy then you are pretty safe. Now if you are going to SELL the image, well now you are in a whole different arena and may need a model release. If the image could intrude on their privacy or could cause undue embarrassment, say, wind blowing up a woman's mini-skirt so you see that she is not wearing any panties and you have just caught an awesome shot of a full moon, or you caught someone up to their knuckle digging in their nose for nose oysters, well then that could be a different situation. Now photojournalists have a different situation to worry about, especially if the photo is newsworthy and connected to a story and they need o get the subject's name. If you use a lens of longer focal length and shoot candids, they will probably be unaware of the photo anyway. Plus longer focal lengths have shorter depth of field which better isolates the subject anyway. But let your best judgement be your guide. If you are unsure, then go ahead and ask after you have taken the photo. With digital, you can actually show them the image. If they say no, talk to them about it and if they are still adamant about it, then delete the photo. Problem solved.

Maybe this will answer a few questions of yours:

http://www.socialbrite.org/2009/04/10/guide-to-shooting-photos-in-public/

Last edited:

Lord Nikon

In those conditions I also have something whose to shoot with. Mostly my 9mm. We are an open carry state so just the sight of a big black 9mm on my side will make most people say "hello, how are you today" and keep walking.

Alas this is the UK and I would expect confrontation from the armed response unit if I brandished anything but a camera to shoot with.

Thank you all for your replies, I'm going to read them all again and follow the provided links :)

Thanks

Lord Nikon.

jackass

Be carefull in Africa or the Middle East. You could get shot for photographing anything politically or militarily sensitive (which you may not even be aware of)

MinnBen

People's attitudes differ a lot, I believe, from country to country--or even region by region. I was in Dominica once, taking of pictures, not of people but of vegetables in an open market. A woman yelled at me at photographing her vegetables without asking permission. I apologized, asked for permissions, and she happily told me to go ahead. Someone else yelled at me for standing on their driveway and photographing the vista beyond their house.