HDR with d3100

Lmp

Good morning (well at least Wehre I am)
HDR ! I have been facinated with HDR pics and wanted to get started doing my own and tried reading on how to go about it but haven't gotten too far... Firstly I haveq to mention that I don't have photoshop just a cheap imitation called gimp but one can merge photos together with that. So basically how does one go about it .? I hear 3 different exposure settings (which I'm not sure what the mean would be grateful for an example ) ISO as low as possible and 1stop between the shutter speed. So does this mean 9 pics in total? Cause three different exposures with three pics.? And I'm meant to choose 1 pic from the three different groups and merge them together ahhhh I'm confused pls help...... Thx!

Lmp

(Ok second attempt to post) thx Alan. What's this though about having three pictures: one over exposed the second underexposed and the third normal..... If I take a multiple shot I can't influence that can I ?

Rick M

The D3100 does not have auto-bracketing but you can do it manually. You need to use a tripod and adjust the EV + and - one or two full stops and take the 3 shots as Pedroj mentioned. Shoot in aperture mode and make sure only the shutter speed changes. You can download a free trial of Photomatix to merge and process.

sailtastic

luminance is also a very good free hdr package.

You basically need to take three pics of the same thing, hence use a tripod to ensure the camera doesn't move. Using the exposure adjustment button, take one pic under exposed, one correct exposure and one over exposed. Load them into the software and voila. There is an hdr pic in my gallery shot on my 3100 to demonstrate.

Last edited:

Vaughany

I've been playing around with this recently too. I've "cheated" and over/under exposed the image by changing the exposure in ViewNX2 before putting it into photoshop - it seems to work though.

The images are on my blog:

http://lifeinzoom.wordpress.com/2013/03/17/first-attempt-at-hdr-portraiture/

06/04/2013 – So I wasn’t happy with the last photo | Life In Zoom28/03/13 – Rob Tew Acoustic “Atlas” Single Mock Up | Life In Zoom01/04/2013 – To Gateshead | Life In Zoom

I really enjoy the technique so am hoping to improve in the future too.http://lifeinzoom.wordpress.com/2013/04/01/01042013-to-gateshead/