Jewellery Photography with Nikon D3100+18mm - 55mm LENS

Hussy Ameer

Hi, As many friends told me here, take a pictures and practice your self with setting , i take few pictures please look at this picts and tell me does its look's like professionals or not ? what i have to do more ?

DSC_0049.jpgDSC_0052.jpgDSC_0058.jpgDSC_0074.jpgDSC_0076.jpgDSC_0083.jpgDSC_0097.jpgDSC_0109.jpgDSC_0113.jpgDSC_0117.jpgDSC_0121.jpgDSC_0123.jpgDSC_0126.jpgDSC_0135.jpgDSC_0137.jpgDSC_0141.jpg
DSC_0142.jpg

Look at pictures and let me know thx

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
Re: JewelleryPhotography with Nikon D3100+18mm - 55mm LENS , Plz Tell me is this fine

They seem a little dark to me. Another thing that you often see with jewelry shots are that they have extremely narrow depths of fields. So trying adding more light and shooting with the lens wide open and see if you like the results any better.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Re: JewelleryPhotography with Nikon D3100+18mm - 55mm LENS , Plz Tell me is this fine

I think they are OK, some too dark. But, I'm not sure you should try to have too many in one shot. It looks too busy and it's difficult to see the real product as there is too much shadows. You would be better to have only one ring per picture and then post many smaller pictures to showcase your fine rings.

Hope this helps.

Hussy Ameer

Thank you Marcel , i will try to do more experiment :) , by the way if i buy more expensive Digital camera Canon or Nikon so the result will be same my mean for make perfect picture need a much experience or expensive cam ?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

Thank you Marcel , i will try to do more experiment :) , by the way if i buy more expensive Digital camera Canon or Nikon so the result will be same my mean for make perfect picture need a much experience or expensive cam ?

More expensive camera WON'T make better picture. Photography has to be thought and no camera will place the product and light it for you . You WILL have to learn what YOU like and find a way to produce it. Please don't ask us to be the judges of what it should be.

You also will have to learn retouching at some point as all these catalog photos you see are up to a certain point retouched.

Rexer John

As Marcel says, a single ring looks better. Maybe 2 or 3 maximum if they go well together.
Please don't take this the wrong way but a picture full of different colour rings makes them appear cheap.

The camera is capable but the lens is not IMHO. You just can't get a big enough image of the ring in the frame at any zoom setting.
Of course you can crop but a lens with macro will get closer.

Last edited:

Hussy Ameer

i just ordered a " Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro 272ENII Lens" today i think i will got it in a week , is that great for closer ? i just take a picture for see how its look , of course i will take separate picture of all rings :) thank you roxer !!!

STM

The images are rather dark and lacking in contrast. You want jewelry to sparkle! It should also be much larger in the frame, so that details are easily seen. I also agree that you should limit the number of rings to 1 or 2 at most. A light tent is the best thing to use when you are photographing jewelry. There are some available commercially but you can also make your own like I did. I used to have a few images of a wedding set I did for a friend that I could use as an example but I can't find them right now. The image below of a Rolex was shot for a jewelry store, that they eventually used in one of their billboard advertisements. I shot the watch in a light tent, being careful not to get any reflections on the crystal. Because I needed the absolute highest quality possible, I used a Hasselblad 500CM and Kodak Ektar 100 with a 150mm f/4 Sonnar C T* lens. The image was scanned in my Nikon Super Coolscan LS8000 at 4000 dpi and produced a MONSTROUS 100 MB file. The image should be very sharp and very contrasty. I photographed it on a piece of glass but you could achieve the same effect with Photoshop. There is a lot of negative space to the right of it, but that is for their logo and information. JPEG compression, and this site's resizing have affected its sharpness somewhat, but it is still good enough to illustrate a point.

rolex_zps6d276042.jpg

Last edited:

Hussy Ameer

The images are rather dark and lacking in contrast. You want jewelry to sparkle! It should also be much larger in the frame, so that details are easily seen. A light tent is the best thing to use when you are photographing jewelry. I used to have a few images of a wedding set I did for a friend that I could use as an example but I can't find them right now. The image below of a Rolex was shot for a jewelry store, and eventually used in one of their billboard advertisements. I shot the watch in a light tent, being careful not to get any reflections on the crystal. The image should be very sharp and very contrasty. I photographed it on a piece of glass but you could achieve the same effect with Photoshop. There is a lot of negative space to the right of it, but that is for their logo and information. JPEG compression, and this site's resizing have affected its sharpness somewhat, but it is still good enough to illustrate a point.

rolex_zps6d276042.jpg

Great , i understand your mean , i will try to get some more pictures , i have Rolex Deep-sea i will try to take picture same as you shown me, hope i will success in this :) thank you STM :)!

STM

Great , i understand your mean , i will try to get some more pictures , i have Rolex Deep-sea i will try to take picture same as you shown me, hope i will success in this :) thank you STM :)!

You're welcome. Make sure you use one of those plastic inserts to make the band remain open and rounded. I had to adjust it so it would not show in the image and wound up having to clone some of it out later in Photoshop but no biggie.

§am

I'm with the others on this - reduce the number of objects in the picture and try and lighten them up a bit, as well as getting closer.

eye4get

Awesome photograph! You did a fantastic job with just enough soft light to eliminate reflection and glare. Can I ask about your lighting setup? How many and what type (how bright) of lights did you use? Do you meter the product or let the camera adjust for lighting? What camera setting work best? What lens did you use?