d7000 settings

dorobo18jp

I am currently shooting nature and animals can anyone sugest setting for high quality shots .. also my girlfriend want me to take nude out door photos day and night and action shots what setting do you sugggest thanks for the help

Dave_W

The Dude
If you're serious about producing "high quality shots", you should turn the JPEG off and turn RAW on. Once you do that all those other settings become null and void and you'll be left with the raw data. Using the RAW setting will give you the most flexibility to mould the images into the vision you had when you took them.

cbg

I agree with Dave W on shooting raw. That said, unfortunately, there are no universal camera settings to getting gigh quality shots. Every shot is unique and requires an understanding of your camera and settings (Shutter, Aperature, ISO). The best advice is to start shooting, keep track of the settings, and practice.

AC016

Personally i would avoid RAW for the "action" shots and perhaps for the animals as well. You would most likely shoot in continuos mode and if you have it set to RAW, your buffer will fill up real fast. You may lose a shot while waiting for the camera to write the RAW files to the card. Therefore, just stick with JPEG when doing action/continuous shooting. For the nudes, you can do RAW so that you can really fine tune the file afterwards. Ahhh, are the "nudes" and "action" shots in anyway related? lol:p Interesting girlfriend you have there;)

Incubate

I disagree with AC016. Shoot in RAW as you'll have much extra info for editing with. Make sure though that your picture review setting is disabled.

AC016

He may be dissapointed in only getting 1.5 seconds of action by shooting in RAW then. D7000 can do about 10-11 shots in RAW before the buffer fills up. JPEG large fine will give him 15-20 shots, or about 3 seconds of action. The numbers speak for themselves.

Incubate

I get your point of view on the buffer. My preference is to have more depth in the editing than the extra pictures. Horses for courses I suppose.

cbg

I do a lot of action shots (BIF) and always shoot RAW. Yes, there are times when I fill the buffer, but not often, since I tend to shoot in short 3-4 shot bursts. I don't mash the shutter down and shoot until the buffer is full, I've found that the short bursts are better as it has forced me to take more care with my composition and framing than just spray-and-pray shooting.

I would much rather have the RAW data available for processing than lose a shot because I can't recover the JPEG.