Greetings from Boston!

crycocyon

Hi everyone, I just recently joined up just to see what's happening here. My experience started as a child with a Kodak Instamatic camera in the 1970s, to a Minolta X-700 with full gear shooting Kodachrome 25/64 almost exclusively in the 1980s. During that time I was a yearbook photographer in high school and university, did some semi-professional industrial photography and a bit of amateur wedding photography, but my first love has always been nature photography. I love both color and black and white, and was fortunate enough to go to a seminar by the now deceased Ernst Haas, who pioneered color photography as an art form, and has been my inspiration to this day. My career in science took me away for a while from serious photography and only in the past few years it seems the digital cameras are getting up to par with film. My first Nikon was a D700, and I have a D7000 right now with a D800 coming very soon (and I hope to now build up my lens arsenal), so I'm looking forward to rediscovering that life-long love of photography and sharing that road a bit with you.

Thomas

RockyNH_RIP

Welcome Thomas... Looks like you bring some experiences and some great gear!!!! I am just you local neighbor to the North (Nashua, NH)

Pat in NH

crycocyon

Thanks and hi Pat and Marcel. Yes I put Boston in my profile so sorry I didn't mention my location in my original post. I threw a few "chromes" in my album in case you'd like to see some of my older work. One of them I converted to a black and white print (yes I used to do black and white printing as part of my work back in the day when we would take photos off the microscopes with regular film cameras and had to develop the film and print ourselves).

BTW I am originally from Canada (born in Edmonton), came to the USA in 1995 and am a dual citizen now.....

crycocyon

Got an MB-D12 grip today for the D800, so a quick iphone photo of my babies. :D

TDD800D7000b.jpg

crycocyon

So in case I am called upon to do videos at my work, I ordered a Rode VideoMic Pro :)

744768.jpg

So I was thinking about my recently acquired D800 and how it is too bad I have to wait to save up to get all the nice Nikon glass. So I did some reading and thought that maybe it would be fine to just get old good quality glass (some of the old glass matches the latest glass in terms of quality and sharpness) at a bargain price and just have some fun with the camera. So then I was looking through Ebay for old Nikon Ai-s lenses that work on the D800 in Aperture priority and Manual mode (naturally not autofocus but I worked for years with manual focus lenses and I am pretty comfortable with that). Anyway, I have a Nikon buddy who is crazy about birding (that's all he shoots, just birds), and he recently got a Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 VC zoom lens for his Nikon D90. So that I could keep up with him for the time being, I found and just ordered a next to new Nikon Nikkor Ai-S 100-300mm F/5.6 zoom lens and below are photos of the exact lens I ordered. This kind of lens brings me back to my beginnings in serious photography as after I got my Minolta X-700 back in the early 1980s, the first extra lens I bought for the camera was the Minolta 100-300 f5.6 MD zoom lens and that lens, like this one, had close focus macro capability. The utility of that lens and its quality is so memorable to me, so I'm really looking forward to seeing how this vintage Nikon equivalent works with the D800 and I'm hoping to be nicely surprised :D.

1.jpg

2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

And guess how much it cost? :cool:

crycocyon

With STM's great work as inspiration, I just ordered a second-hand Nikon Nikkor 180 f/2.8 Ai-S lens (pictured). :D18028.jpg

Last edited: