new lens

piliff

hi all, i want to buy a nw lens for my d3100 to add to the 18-55 one that came with it, i want a bit of zoom, so i was thinking of a tamron 70-300 for 109.00 or a nikon 55-200 for 123.00 i am thinking the niokn would be better quality but the tamron is longer zoom and cheaper anyone used any of these to advise please,
[h=1]Nikon 55-200MM F/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX Black Lens[/h][h=1]Tamron AF 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 Nikon+Motor[/h]

alfaholic

Banned
I think that Tamron does not have vibration reduction, which is VC for Tamron, so that lens is not so good if you want to shoot handheld.
I had 55-300, it is almost the same as 55-200, just with aluminium mount and 100mm more, but it is very slow on focus, slow on aperture, not very good for sports, maybe wildlife or something more static.
But if you need a cheap telephoto lens, I think there is nothing in 55-200 VR price range that can beat it.
If you want good telephoto lens 70-300 is a much better option, even if it is more expensive.
It is a FX lens, autofocus is much faster, you have AF override, focusing ring is closer to the body, not like 55-200 and 55-300 that makes them almost unusable, you have to release the button for auto or manual focus, then you have to reach focusing ring at the front.
Maybe you do not need a telephoto lens at all... ;)

Last edited: