D7000 purchase dilemma!!

dannydifalco

Ok this will be my second DSLR my first was a D3100 which i just sold for some cash to upgrade my body. I am stuck on which to buy either a refurbished or a new. I currently have no lenses and will be buying a 18-55 vr to start off with.( I know its not a wonderful lens but for $140!)
B&H has a refurbished d7000 with a 18-55 vr lens for $907 Shipped with a 90 day warranty.
or
B&H has a NEW d7000 and i can get a refurbished 18-55 vr for about $1120 shipped. Which includes a 16gb sandisk card and a lowe pro bag.

I am starting fresh so i need everything. SD card, bag, etc. If you factor in the $20 SD card and $20-$50 bag thats $977 for the refurbished camera.

I am all for saving money but is the $150 savings worth the 7 months lost warranty and getting a used camera that may have been man handled at best buy? Thanks for your replies!!

PapaST

Look at the instant rebates first... I think a D7000 body brand new is $896. I'd couple that with a 50mm or 35mm that is likely to have their own instant rebates. Those will be lenses you're more likely to hold onto. The 18-55 isn't a terrible lens but it's a kit lens for a reason.

If you don't go that route... I would do new in your options listed.

dannydifalco

Look at the instant rebates first... I think a D7000 body brand new is $896. I'd couple that with a 50mm or 35mm that is likely to have their own instant rebates. Those will be lenses you're more likely to hold onto. The 18-55 isn't a terrible lens but it's a kit lens for a reason.

If you don't go that route... I would do new in your options listed.
Let me see if bh offers a rebate on the 35 1.8 because that was going to be second lens i buy!

dannydifalco

Seems they offer the rebates on the
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
Nikon AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED
Nikon AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G

AC016

Pay $130 now or pay alot more after three months when something goes wrong. I think the answer is pretty clear.

stmv

I am afraid you might have waited too long, the D7000 new prices are going back up,, I suspect the inventory backlog is cleared up, and Nikon has cleared enough prior to the release of the 7200. Might see a few more drops..

Whenever the D7000 drops below 900 dollars, it is a FANTASIC deal, and anyone even thinking about it should jump on it,, the new 7200 will be over 1200 dollars FOR SURE.

trarmstrong

I'm bias because I just bought a D7000 last week. For $300 difference, you could buy a decent lens for that price. After seeing pictures of it, I think I like the lock live-view switches better on the d7000. Maybe I have just gotten used to them being there. Don't really care for the rounded "soft" look Nikon is going for these days but, the guts seem impressive.

piperbarb

I agree. I just got my D7000 2 weeks ago. I love mine. I could have waited until the D7100 came out but I really could not justify the additional price, and I wanted to upgrade from the D3000 (which I still have and use).

ideacipher

Ditto on the buy the 7000 new and not springing for the 7100. Unless you really need the MP and focus points. I wonder if they are on par with the D300 AF or just more points on close to the same system. The buffer is less than the D7000 I believe so sort of a downgrade. Either way both cameras are awesome so you will be good no matter which one you choose. IF you have more money for glass I'd say thats better than a few more MPs.
I own the D7000 so may be a little biased but after looking at the specs I can't see a reason to upgrade anytime soon. The 7000 is a great cam. If it was a chunky D300 body with the same specs except larger buffer, faster and more accurate 51 point AF, sealed and full mag alloy body, 24MP, and the battery lasted longer than my 7000 I would think about it.

Last edited:

crashton

faster and more accurate 51 point AF,

The D7100 has this ^. As a person who likes to shoot race cars this is very interesting to me. I'll wait a couple of years before buying the D7100 & in the meantime be happy with my D7000. :)

dannydifalco

Well i went and preordered the D7100. :O. I like the bigger screen, 51 autopoints, and more FPS in video.
And i figured if i wanted to upgrade to a FX later on the D7100 would hold its value longer for resale.

crashton

I think you are going to be very happy with the D7100. If I had the money I'd be buying one too. Let us know how it works out for you once you receive it.

Cowboybillybob1

First of all $300 is not really that much extra. An SB-700 is more than that. Not inconsequential but still not that much more. On the other hand for that $300 you get 24MP and the Exspeed 3 processor which is not the same as the D5200. It's algorithm is more like the D4 hence the elimination of the low pass filter, also like the D4. 5 shots for bracketing, 51 AF points. Not to mention better video frame rate and other upgrades.
Not bad for only $300 bucks.

I do plan on trading in my D7000 for Nikons new flagship DX format DSLR.

dannydifalco

First of all $300 is not really that much extra. An SB-700 is more than that. Not inconsequential but still not that much more. On the other hand for that $300 you get 24MP and the Exspeed 3 processor which is not the same as the D5200. It's algorithm is more like the D4 hence the elimination of the low pass filter, also like the D4. 5 shots for bracketing, 51 AF points. Not to mention better video frame rate and other upgrades.
Not bad for only $300 bucks.

I do plan on trading in my D7000 for Nikons new flagship DX format DSLR.
Yes im glad i got my D7100. I'm just not sure if i should invest in more DX lens or get FX lens. Eventually i hope to go FX. But will i be loosing alot by putting a FX lens on a DX body? I understand the MM will be 1.5x as much.

Cowboybillybob1

The D7xxx has a motor built into the body.. This makes it compatible (Auto focus) with
many different lenses not just AF-S DX lenses. Look up the lens you are interested in and most likely it is compatible. Many lenses not compatible with D5xxx and D3xxx will be with the D7xxx.

Look in the Users Manual for more details.