Vivian Maier - Street Photographer

stmv

you find these photographers, scattered around, with boxes and boxes of negatives, and one pattern is the photographing of other people. Ironically, in today's world, people wandering around taking shots like this woman took would be considered suspect, a form of Voyeurism.

but in a way, isn't much of photography a trip of voyeurism, the experiencing of the world thru this window / viewer, capturing fragments of time for our viewing pleasure?

Dave_W

The Dude
I love looking at old photographs like these. Makes you wonder whether you shouldn't have kept more of your rejected images, huh? Something dull and meaningless today might be fascinating a generation or two from now.

stmv

part of it is the dress style of that period, and of course the cars, etc, I wonder if we will be as interesting to a generation from now.

This lady clearly had skills and knowledge of camera use, did you see her gear? Sounded like a lonely life of wandering from family to family, from most likely a bright mind.

Eye-level

Banned
I've said it before and I'll say it again I think it is a sad day in history when someone pays $300 bucks for a box of negatives from a photographer who expressly never showed her stuff to anyone in her lifetime and gave very few of her pictures away to try and manipulate her into being a major in the art world and are making handsome profits from it. She is not a major probably not any where near a minor either as the vast majority of her stills are like a lot of ours.

That being said she is somewhat interesting to the photographer in me but the way they are exploiting it makes me sick. They have been charging like 2000 bucks for prints they are making and putting in shows. How the hell do they know if that is how she would have had them printed?