My New Lighting Setup-Off Camera

RockyNH_RIP

Ok, it was time to pull the trigger!!! There have been posts and threads regarding lighting, speedlights bouncing, speedlights off camera, continuous lighting for a studio, modifiers etc.

I have been taking this all in and trying to decide what I wanted.. (I am looking to learn more) I at first was leaning toward a continuous setup but later decided I would have more flexibility with speedlights. Earlier I bought a Nikon SB-700 for my main light, on camera bounce etc... It works well and I am glad that I invested in it.

So ... lets look at stuff...
This is a shot of everything... all of the new stuff was purchased at Amazon...
Prior equipment was the tripod, SB-400 and the Nikon remote shutter release.
Note: I bought budget equipment, I am wanting to learn but if this strobist stuff is not for me, no big bucks invested.

DSC_4072.jpg

The light stands came complete with carry bag, 2 stands, 2 umbrellas with either shoot through or reflective by adding the black & silver cover (not pictured). A pair of adaptors were included for mounting the umbrellas & lights. I was impressed by the quality, not that they are heavy duty or pro, but for what I paid, it was better than I expected! The adaptors were metal where some cheap kits had plastic. Brand was Polaroid.

DSC_4075.jpg

This table shot shows the "stuff". The Yongnuo came with a nice carry case and a stand. I was very impressed with this speedlight. Feels well made, heavy. The 560 II is a manual only unit and can be controlled in M or S modes. M with work with hotshoe or the triggers... S will trigger from another flash. Tried both modes and it worked well.
The controls are simple and I like how easy to dial up or down by a full stop or 1/3's

DSC_4073.jpg

This last shot shows a closer view of the speedlights, Yongnuo to the right. Also is a flash sync cord to attach any flash as an off camera without triggers (but limited by distance) The Triggers are the 3 piece set by Cowboy Studio. All plastic, they take a few knocks for build quality but are rated reliable and a great bargain. I also looked at the Yongnuo Triggers. Rated a little better and are "transcievers" so they can be used either on camera (transmitter) or on flash (receiver). They were a few bucks more but also only could power one flash. The Cowboy Studio set had 3 pieces, a transmitter and 2 receivers, so for a little less money I can fire 2 speedlights...

DSC_4074.jpg

So, how did it all work??? Well quite well by my book. I did a couple shoots at home this weekend and I was pleased, plus I learned a lot which is why I got the gear. The stands are not the sturdiest but they work great for my needs. The triggers worked fine. Th only issue I had was the location of the on/off was on top which made it awkward to get to on the Yongnuo unit because of the closeness of the mount. It was not a problem on the SB-700. CS could have put them on the side..

I would buy any of these again, especially a Yongnuo speedlight!

Pat in NH

Will the SB-400 work as a slave and retain the iTTL functions?

I will have the D5100 this week and have just bought the SB-700 so I have the same basic setup as you. I have Umbrellas from back in my film days so I just need the get the slave flashes.

Dave_W

The Dude
Nice, Rocky!! I'm envious! Now you gotta be like Robert and convince young women to pose in their birthday suits and you'll be living the dream! ;)

RockyNH_RIP

Nice review of your efforts. I'm glad everything worked out for you. Now enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Thanks Ted! I appreciate the comments. I enjoy learning and so far this Photo stuff has really been a lot of fun. It is nice too as I have a photo otr 2 (usually!) to show for my learning efforts.

Pat in NH

RockyNH_RIP

Will the SB-400 work as a slave and retain the iTTL functions?

I will have the D5100 this week and have just bought the SB-700 so I have the same basic setup as you. I have Umbrellas from back in my film days so I just need the get the slave flashes.

Don, I am not sure... maybe one of the more experienced folks can chime in. My understanding is that it does not have a fully functional manual mode (you cannot manually adjust output) It does TTL functions on camera but is not listed on their literature for CLS. If you went remote with a radio trigger you would need a high end like Pocket Wizard for TTL.. The only other option that might work is a ttl cable that attaches to your hot shoe and the flash to the other end "might" work.

Sorry, I have not used that unit.

Pat in NH

RockyNH_RIP

Nice, Rocky!! I'm envious! Now you gotta be like Robert and convince young women to pose in their birthday suits and you'll be living the dream! ;)

Dave, thanks!! I will just keep the bithday suits in the dreams.. :) Learning for me is living the dream...

Pat in NH

fotojack

Thanks Jack! Far from TOTL (top of the line) but it is all functional and great educational tools... Besides that, I have having fun!

Pat in NH

Doesn't have to be TOTL, Rocky, as long as it's all functional and it works the way you want it to.....it's all that matters, right? :) I don't have TOTL line lighting stuff either, but it works flawlessly, and that's all I care about.

Rick M

Looks great Pat! post some shots when you can! My black background just arrived today, so I'll break out all my new lighting this weekend for a second attempt. Have you decided you need a bigger house now too? :)

RockyNH_RIP

Looks great Pat! post some shots when you can! My black background just arrived today, so I'll break out all my new lighting this weekend for a second attempt. Have you decided you need a bigger house now too? :)

Rick, I at least need a free room!!! I think I will be all set if I empty out a bedroom! I shot the bubbles using the lights and stands, the water drops with a table stand ...

What did you get for a background??? Did you get a stand, have a stand or make a stand??? I am gonna have to try some portrait shots with my wife as the guinea pig (I mean model) I will probably try an dset that up next weekend... no background here though.

Pat in NH

RockyNH_RIP

I thought about making one, but found this locally. The price is great and very heavy duty,

JTL 10 x10 Feet Heavy Duty Steel Background Support Set 5022

It is sturdy enough to run a light boom up off one of the posts to hold a hair light.

Now , after 20 years and one kid left, the house is too small :)

Looks good! You mentioned locally, I assume that means you could go into Adorama and see it?? That is good, tough guessing sometimes with mail-order... did you pick up a background also??? That will likely be my next purchase when the ship stops by! :)

Pat in NH

Rick M

Looks good! You mentioned locally, I assume that means you could go into Adorama and see it?? That is good, tough guessing sometimes with mail-order... did you pick up a background also??? That will likely be my next purchase when the ship stops by! :)

Pat in NH

Actually found it in a local shop first and then searched online to find some reviews. They had it for just a few bucks more, so i boiught it local. My first backdrop was a grayish tye dye, seen in my first portrait attempt thread. I've decided I'm not crazy about the pattern look, so I ordered the black one. I got both backgrounds from amazon. They are only about $30-$40, not pro, but for me dabbling in portraites they are great.

This is the one that came today:

Amazon.com: Square Perfect Professional Quality 10x13 Feet Muslin Photo Backdrop Photography Background For Photography and Video-Black: Electronics

RockyNH_RIP

You know, guys, that there's a cheaper alternative to store bought stands for back drops. It's made of pvc pipe. I'm just trying to find the web site that shows how to do this. I'll put it in my next post. Please stand by. :)

OK, here it is. I think it's pretty cool, and easy to make for a whole lot less money. Other great ideas in here, too. DIY Ghetto-Fab Portable Backdrop Stand | DIYPhotography.net

Thanks Jack... I have seen some on youtube also... I like the price savings but I also have limited space so most of my stuff is set up and taken down.. I will take a look at the sketchs..

I have beams in my family room and considering hang a cross bar from them...

Pat in NH

fotojack

Thanks Jack... I have seen some on youtube also... I like the price savings but I also have limited space so most of my stuff is set up and taken down.. I will take a look at the sketches..

I have beams in my family room and considering hang a cross bar from them...

Pat in NH

Pat....this is portable....it can be broken down and moved wherever you want. Did you see the others from that web site? Lots of great ideas there.

RockyNH_RIP

" Did you see the others from that web site? Lots of great ideas there. "

Jack, yes... I am thinking of using the beams as a "rail system" I can put 2 hangers around them and slide a pole in.. The pole can then be removed when not in use... I may try that, I will not even need uprights~

Pat

emerald

Nice review.
As I am a long way behind you on the photography evolution trail, it may be some time before I am able to put any of this information into practice :concern:, but Thanks.