Tethering

cgaffka

Hello! So, not sure if anyone else thinks it's as crazy as I do... But still no tethering capabilities in Lightroom 4?!

Just curious what, if any, programs you guys are using to tether your D600's to your computer. I am running Windows 8 machines currently. Don't have a Mac anymore!

Looking for something preferably free!

Thanks!

cgaffka

I have Lightroom 4.2 installed on my Mac and I've never used tethering but I just checked Mfrankfort's instructions and I have those options.

The options are there, but if you actually do it, it doesn't recognize the D600 just yet. At least not until a further LR4 update.

cgaffka

What is the advantage/point of tethering??

I like to shoot tethered in the studio to have a larger preview of the images, check the focus, and also gives the client and anyone else in the studio the ability to see the images as they're being taken. Usually I'll use my laptop to tether and my 23" or 27" monitor. Definitely try it some time!

PapaST

I found this that might help (if you're on Apple) BUT as Adobe Developers mentioned you don't get the FULL functionality as tethering directly from LR4. I have a feeling it will be added soon:

If you are on Mac (just make sure you install the RAW image update from
Apple), you can now tether your D600 using the provided Image Capture app
(installed with OS X) and have Lightroom pointed to a watched folder where you
save the tethered capture and you are good to go ...
I'm just perplexed how Apple can add support for the RAW image rendering AND
tethering support on the SAME day ... and it takes other developers months and
months to provide some forms of support ...