D3100 Question.

bigmags14

I need some video recording information cleared up. I can't actually view my video because my mac isn't with me.

1. The D3100 has 1080p video at 24fps and 720p video at 30fps. Which is better? All i'm really gonna do with any video i take is view it on my mac. I'm not editing it, putting it on a tv and probably not puting it on youtube (maybe). I understand that the 1080p is better quality video, but the frames per second confuses me. People say that the 30 fps will be smoother than the 24fps. I'm not recording sports or anything. Just normal video of probably beaches and maybe around town. All i'm doing is viewing the video on my mac using quicktime player and possibly uploading it to youtube. Can I just use the 1080p or will the 720p give me better results because of the frame rate? I mean I read that the 24fps give you some sort of film looking video or something? I'm not sure I just need this cleared up. I'm just taking normal video. I'm not doing anything special with it I just want it to look good.

2. I usually use manual mode for video. I usually just use an aperture of f/8 or whatever aperture I would use for pictures. Is that ok? Also, I heard that the shutter speed for video is tied with you frame rate for video. It said if you have 24fps, use 1/50 and for 30fps, use 1/60. Basically multiply the fps by two. Is that correct?

I know it's long, I just need this cleared up. I want to take some good video while i'm on vacation. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

bigmags14

That thread had some good points but didn't help all that much. Im still clueless on both questions. Im getting even more confused on 1080p vs 720p not even the fps which I am still confused on.

bigmags14

Yes but as i said i dont have my.computer.and the.camera screen obviously isnt accurate. Im on vacation i just need these things cleared up.

I just retired from TV. I worked for the local ABC affiliate and we also were the local CBS affiliate.
ABC is 720 because it is owned by Disney which also owns ESPN. 720 is better for sports because it is smoother for sports.
CBS is 1080

Unless you have broadcast quality equipment you will never tell the difference. I sat in master control and had big screen monitors sitting side by side with CBS on one and ABC on the other. Even our engineers could not tell the difference.

Go with the 720 30fps and when you have kids running or you are panning it will look better.

in america its 30 fps as you have 60 hz mains in the UK/europe its 24 fps as they have 50 hz mains supply ...

sp go with the 30 frames as you are in yank land

Epoc

In the US the TV format is NTSC which is 30 fps. In most of Europe and here in OZ it's PAL which is 25 fps. 25 fps does not produce any worse motion than 30 fps. If it did, I'm sure PAL wouldn't exist.

If your absolutely sure your not going to watch it on your TV, go for the highest resolution which is 1080, especially if you PC monitor has HD resolution. If you think you may, you need 30 fps so go 720. It's similar to photography, shoot at the highest resolution as you can always reduce quality, but can't increase it.

You have to remember, in broadcast studios, they are using very, very high end camera gear and it would probably be hard to see the difference between 1080 and 720 on a monitor. We are not using such high end gear. I can 100% see the quality difference between the two with my consumer Panasonic TM900 playing back on my TV that has a resolution of 1920x1080.

bigmags14

Ok im getting some mixed answers. Is there really a huge difference between 24fps and 30 fps just for normal shooting? Again i cant test it out because im away.

Epoc

1080 @ 24fps will give you better quality than 720 @ 30fps. Straight out simple as that.

I would use 1/50th for 24fps. You can use other shutter speeds for creating different looks. A fast shutter speed such as 1/200th of a sec of a second will give you sharp frames but will look choppy when you play it back. A slow shutter speed like 1/20th will give you blurred frames but smooth playback.

Epoc

Auto or Cloudy is best IMO. That can be seen in Live view (it can on my D7000 anyways) ,so you can adjust accordingly.

bigmags14

Okay. One last question. I don't know if you've seen my previous posts but I've been getting grainy video in low light conditions. Even when I use iso 100. Do you have any reccomendations for shooting video in less than optimal lighting conditions?