Hi from Wisconsin!

snowshu

Hello everyone, I'm just getting started with my D7000. Looks like I have a lot to learn and this is my first Nikon. Looks like I came to the right place as there looks like a lot of great information and users here.

Looking forward to learning and sharing with all of you.

Thanks,

Snowshu

STM

Welcome Snowshu, yes there is much to learn, but don't feel like you have to learn everything all at once. Learning photography is like building a house. You first begin with a good foundation, which is an understanding of exposure basics and build on it from there. There are many good books on photography, both film and digital, and a good one is as good an investment, if not more, than any single piece of equipment.

When I started in the early 70's there was no internet, only a few books you could find either in the library or a few magazines like Popular and Modern Photography. And cameras were all completely manual. I learned photography mostly through self education and A LOT of film, paper, darkroom chemicals and trial and error! You have so much more information at your disposal then we did 40 years ago!

fotojack

Welcome, snowshu, to a great website, full of Nikon aficionados and gurus. :) I'm sure you'll learn lots here. Go through your manual, see what all the buttons and dials do, practice, read some more, ask questions you're not sure about, practice some more, etc etc etc. :) It's a long journey but a worthwhile one. :)