D700 rubber grips coming off

STM

Has anyone else experienced the rubber grips on their D700 starting to peel off? It appears to me that the double sided adhesive they used to attach them has lost its stickiness. I would rather try repairing it myself rather than spend the rather expensive (for what it is) amount for another set of rubber grips.

I am thinking some heavy duty double sided tape might do the trick. I really don't want to use contact cement. What have any of you used?

SM

Browncoat

I even had a veterinarian friend in Africa who specializes in elephant care send me some phallus hide from the Loxodonta Africana (known for its flexibility and grip when wet) which I then had a local taxidermist apply to my camera in place of the original rubber. It took a lot of paperwork with the U.S. Dept. of Fish and Game but at least it doesn’t peel off on my D1H as the rubber does. - Ken Rockwell

Photography guru Ken Rockwell uses the hide from an elephant penis on his one of a kind left-handed Nikon F1, as seen on his About page.

366im8.jpg

Sambr

I have had mine peel off on the D700, D300, & the little used D200. I bought replacement grips from Ebay for all 3 bodies and replaced them myself so far so good.

TedG954

Has anyone else experienced the rubber grips on their D700 starting to peel off? It appears to me that the double sided adhesive they used to attach them has lost its stickiness. I would rather try repairing it myself rather than spend the rather expensive (for what it is) amount for another set of rubber grips.

I am thinking some heavy duty double sided tape might do the trick. I really don't want to use contact cement. What have any of you used?

SM

Just Google it. Lots of articles.

Nikon D700 rubber grip replacement » Tony Correa Studios | Tony Correa Studios

fotojack

I would think contact cement would be far preferable to double sided tape! Just be very careful with it and you should be good to go.