First dlsr camera

Papperclippy

We currently use a canon point and shoot camera which takes decent pictures until we try to take baby pictures and its too slow. We are new to the dlsr camera and feel completely overwhelmed and confused. I've narrowed it down to nikons d5200 and d7000. I picked up the d7000 and it took me about 2 minutes to turn it on. Lots of buttons and I don't know what they do. The 5200 will be coming in this week to check out.

Please help me decide on one. We are mostly using it for pictures of our baby for now. I know there's gonna be a learning curve for both cameras but we are eager to learn since our iPhone is taking better pics of our baby than our canon. I'm a little concerned about the auto focusing issues that some have experienced in both models but after reading the threads it seems isolated. We want to be able to take sharp fast pictures that is beginner friendly. I read the 7000 has the autofocus built into the camera whereas the 5200 has it built into the lenses. Not sure if one is better than the other. Also, am I reading correctly that the screen on the 5200 isn't 100 percent accurate and that u shouldn't use it to focus and predict what the picture will come out as?

Last question. What accessories do we need cause the camera shop is telling me we need a lens protector, cleaning kits, and the infamous extended warranty. Also, do we need photoshop software to use the pictures from the camera?

Thanks for all the help and I apologize if something didn't make sense. Still new to this realm but eager to learn

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I think you'd be more than OK with a 3200. If you are beginning with a DSLR, don't buy the more expensive ones because they have more features that you won't know how to use and it might frustrate you more than anything. And, try the cameras, take it in your hands and feel it. You probably don't need the bigger heavier one. And watch for these salesmen.

Good luck.

Scott Murray

My first concern is when you say your current camera is too slow! Do you use the flash? What settings are used? What lighting? Buying a new camera will not fix these fundamental issues. Just my 2 cents.

nickt

My first concern is when you say your current camera is too slow! Do you use the flash? What settings are used? What lighting? Buying a new camera will not fix these fundamental issues. Just my 2 cents.
I wonder if he means shutter lag? Maybe, depending how old it is. My wife had one that seemed like forever, but it was probably about 1 second. The newer ones are much better.

Papperclippy

Thanks for the replies. I currently have a canon sd1400. Unsure what settings. By slow I mean by the time it auto focuses and snaps our Lil guy is looking somewhere else and we get a baby body with a blurry head. If we use the flash within five feet, it whites out and blinds him making him squint in his pictures. We want a camera that'll deliver some great sharp pics with color detail. With this point and shoot, outside is hit or miss when shooting in the shade.

Im happy to hear the unbiased opinions. I was figuring I'd hear get the d7k since I posted in here and not the 5200. I want a good camera that we will grow with and would love to shoot action shots of him crawling if not walking soon. That's why I figured the d5200 would b good so that we can set it on the ground level with him. I know it's probably dumb since most of you guys use your cameras for shooting scenery and I've seen some great photos that I would love to learn how to do. When we hired a photographer to take pics of our son it made our camera look horrible and we would love to be able to take those photos. Obviously we would need some classes and books too but it would be a fun hobby I think.

So now that I rambled. Should I be looking at the 3200 instead? Megapixels don't mean too much since any pics we take will be printed in 8x10 max. Also, if you guys think a different point and shoot would be sufficient I am open to recommendations.

nickt

How 'into' photography do you want to get? Based on your experience, I'd say d7000 is not going to be fun for you and might give frustrating results during the learning curve. I would recommend the d3200 also. Its cheaper and I think it will work fine for you. The money saved could go for a 35mm 1.8 lens for better available light pictures.

Less camera is better if this is all new to you. I love the d7000, but I really think its too much for a beginner to have fun with especially if you are not looking for a new hobby. A good reason to buy the d7000 is because you really want all those nice buttons on the body and understand what they do. The d3200/d5200 are more menu driven. Easier to find your way and get help, but they are usually less desirable for the more advanced photographer looking to make quick adjustments.

As for d3200 vs d5200, you can google "d3200 vs d5200" to see if the d5200 offers anything you would use. The most obvious difference is the fold out screen on the d5200. Nice for video, but not a necessity. Other differences may not interest you depending how deep you want to get into photography.

Accessories... A clear filter to keep fingers off the lens might be worthwhile and a pack of lens wipes. Maybe a cheap case from ebay, Don't let the salesman run the bill up. Check the price of memory cards online. I've seen shops charge nearly double for them.

The focus you mentioned... D7000 has a built in focus motor so it can use many older lenses. The d3200/5200 do not. But the newer lenses have their own focus motor. Nothing to worry about unless you already have some old lenses to use. The newer lenses will use their internal motor on either body.

Software... there is free stuff. There is free Nikon software. Picasa from google is a nice simple photo editor/organizer and there is a more advanced free program called GIMP.

nickt

You posted the same time I did, so I didn't see your reply. The ground level video may be a compelling reason for d5200. See if its worth the extra money to you. The optional 35mm lens can give you some nice non-flash pictures, more so than the kit lens. I think both 3200 and 5200 will give pictures that you can't tell apart. 5200 has bracketing (easier to take a set of pictures at different exposures). It has a little higher max iso (low light), but you won't be getting your best shots using that high of an iso setting.

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks for the replies. I currently have a canon sd1400. Unsure what settings. By slow I mean by the time it auto focuses and snaps our Lil guy is looking somewhere else and we get a baby body with a blurry head. If we use the flash within five feet, it whites out and blinds him making him squint in his pictures. We want a camera that'll deliver some great sharp pics with color detail. With this point and shoot, outside is hit or miss when shooting in the shade.

Im happy to hear the unbiased opinions. I was figuring I'd hear get the d7k since I posted in here and not the 5200. I want a good camera that we will grow with and would love to shoot action shots of him crawling if not walking soon. That's why I figured the d5200 would b good so that we can set it on the ground level with him. I know it's probably dumb since most of you guys use your cameras for shooting scenery and I've seen some great photos that I would love to learn how to do. When we hired a photographer to take pics of our son it made our camera look horrible and we would love to be able to take those photos. Obviously we would need some classes and books too but it would be a fun hobby I think.

So now that I rambled. Should I be looking at the 3200 instead? Megapixels don't mean too much since any pics we take will be printed in 8x10 max. Also, if you guys think a different point and shoot would be sufficient I am open to recommendations.

Getting a better camera should help you to produce better pictures, but, don't expect professional results just because you got yourself a good camera.

Now, if you want to put the camera to the ground and you are willing to use the LCD display to take your pictures, why don't you have a look at the 5100. It has the same D7000 sensor and is a very capable camera. The main advantage it has is that it's at the end of production so it's heavily discounted. This would probably be your best "bang for the buck" and it would leave you some money to get a fast 35mm 1.8 lens that would help you a lot more than a better/newer camera body.

KWJams

Even though most point and shoot cameras have scene settings for different subjects. Sports, Pets, Indoor Party, etc. that makes them very capable tools for a novice. The advantage of an entry level DSLR like the D3100 or the D3200 is it allows the user to manually control the settings. They do not provide the knowledge to control those settings -- just the control of them.

Your child is growing up and changing daily and by the moment. The desire to capture those moments are understandable, but the answer can not be met by how expensive or complex the camera is that you purchase. You will want great pictures right out of the box, but without the knowledge on how to go beyond the "user friendly" scene settings my fear is that you will be disappointed and rely more and more on your iPhone.

I am not trying to discourage you from stepping up to a DSLR, just trying to give you a clear picture of what you are getting in to.

Here is the results of a quick Google search on beginning DSLR photography --> Digital Photography Tips and Tutorials

Papperclippy

I greatly appreciate all the replies. I'd rather learn as much about these cameras now before I walk back into the store with salepersons. After all the replies and playing with the d7k, I think I can eliminate it from my options. I have to look into the 3200 and check that out as well as the 5100. From some of the you tube videos I have seen, the menu seems easy to read even though it might be a pain to access the different optoins on the 5200, does the 3200 have the same display on the lcd? This lens that you guys mention, is that different from the one that is bundled with the camera? If it is, should I buy the body only and get the lens you talk about or get the lens you talk about as a supplemental with the one that is bundled? I like the convenience of the point and shoot but need something that will take quick and sharp pictures. I know these cameras have a learning curve but I would be interested in a new hobby so maybe the 3200 would be a good start into it and once we learn how to use the features, upgrade later to a better one. I am going to post a thread in the point and shoot section, but do you guys recommend any?

With the last two point and shoots I've had I forced myself to learn and use the meager manual controls available. As a result I took some fair photos but more importantly I learned why. There is always more learning curve ahead and if that doesn't seem like fun then there is auto. Just my two cents worth.

Dave

§am

Reading what you intend to use the camera for, considering your target audience too, and taking into consideration budget etc, I would recommend the D5100 above all your choices.

It's current price is less than that of the D5200(!), and also the D3200, but it is a much more capable camera than the D3200. It will also allow you to learn more about photography shuld you wish to, and if not, the auto scene modes will hopefully help you get the picture quality you're after.
The D7000 is probably (at the moment) a bit out of your league, but that doesn't mean to say you shouldn't consider it - you just have to ask yourself the question "will I really learn a lot about the camera and photography to use the features it provides, or do I save some money and go for something that I know I will use more".

Also, start with the 'kit' lens that is usually bundled with the D5100 18-55mm, though nothing wrong with even getting a D5100 with a 18-105mm too.
The 35mm prime is a very good lens, but you may want to hold off getting it in the first few months, so as to allow you to learn more about the camera before you decide the 35mm prime is what you want/need.

The rest of my advice echoes what's already been said - shop around for filters, memory cards etc.

stmv

partially dependent upon your budget, you seem to not mind spending enough for a D7000, so,, I would say go for the 5200 as sensor is awesome, and the video is surper.

buy a kit package with 1 or 2 lens. and start slow.

Yes, the 5100 is fine (I have one), and is 300 dollars cheaper, so the posts are right, that you
could buy this and one prime, along with the basic 18-55 zoom.

once you start with DSLR, you can open up a huge box.

but,, I have helped many buy just

dslr and 18-200 lens, and they never take the lens off, love their Nikons, and take wondeful family images.

So,, my vote:

D5200 with 18x200 lens,,, and keep it simple until you come up the learning curve.

nickt

I don't think you will find the d3200 body only as new. I think the d5100 is available. Its sounding more like the 5100 is the best deal anyway. More growing room for you. Less megapixels than 3200, but no big deal. I'd probably go for the kit lens at first. 18-55 will give you some nice outdoor wider shots and some zoom, but not a lot. Many people start with that lens. The 35 mm lens is 'faster'. That means it lets in more light and lets you use a faster shutter speed and have a sharper picture in lower light without a flash. (Not that it will focus or snap a picture any faster) When you learn more about exposure, it will make more sense. I would start with the 18-55 and see how it goes. The separate 35mm lens will get you some more shots without flash. The 18-55 will give you more flexibility in framing shots, but it needs a little better light indoors for a shot without flash. or a higher iso setting (more sensitive to light), but the trade off with higher iso is lesser (but usually still acceptable) picture quality. So I would start with the included 18-55 lens. You will be able to do a lot with it. At some point, you will want the 35mm. It can usually be had with free shipping so its only a couple days away when you are ready for it. Another option is to start with a longer zoom 18-? to give you more zoom as others mentioned. In either case, I would start with a zoom of some sort and later add the 35. There are different paths that are ok. 18-55 or 18-105 or 18-200. The separate 35 fits in with all scenarios. If you go with the 18-55 now, someday you could add the 55-200 to get more range later. I would tend towards more zoom range now in one lens, but I don't want to run the bill up on you.

SeaPea

I'm also a beginner, and I actually bought my camera (D5100) just before my second son was born, because all of my photos of my first son seemed to be iPhone photos (SO bad). Anyway, I'm a complete newb to all of this, and I am just taking some classes at a local camera shop to help me with the basics, but even just the photos on auto beat anything point and shoot (especially with the kids moving, and learning shutter speed...which is prominently displayed on the screen, so you'll know if it'll catch em in action)....anyway, I don't know if that made sense at all, I'm not technical yet, but I thought it might be helpful if you heard from another newbie, and another parent wanting to capture some moments!

I have the D5100, and use the kit lens (18mm-55mm?? I think it is...)

Papperclippy

Thanks again for all the great replies and thanks seapea that is more reassuring. I prefer the iphone over my point and shoot right now because it takes quick pictures but they aren't that sharp when we print them out. I read about the 3200 and it seems beginner friendly, but at its pricepoint, it seems liek the 5100 might be a better deal especially since the 5200 just came out. We aren't concerned about video capabilities, but it looks like the 5k takes better low light photos than the 3k series. I like the 7k because its somewhat weatherproofed and the flash commander function (not sure if that's what its called) seems great and idiotproof in theory. Id rather spend less right now since we are new to it so it looks like the 5100 could be the one for now and upgrade later once we learn how to use it. Once the 5200 comes in, I will try them out side by side and see how I like them. I'd hate to buy another $200 point and shoot and regret not getting a nicer camera for a few hundred more. It seems like they make it so confusing for people getting into these cameras to really compare them and figure out which one fits their needs. Camera store clerks are knowledgeable, but they are also salespersons to its kind of like car buying.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks again for all the great replies and thanks seapea that is more reassuring. <SNIP>. Camera store clerks are knowledgeable, but they are also salespersons to its kind of like car buying.

Yes, they are sales persons so, as a buyer, you also have the responsibility of gauging their sale efforts with the product value AND your actual needs.

Would you buy a $5,000.00 race bike if you only wanted to go on the cycling path once or twice a week?

I think that you would be very happy with a D5100. But also get the 35 1.8 because it will help you get better shots without the flash.